Just thought I'd pop in and say hi, I'm new here. I live in Austin TX and have owned a 98 Contour SE that I bought used about 3 years ago. Unfortunately I haven't been taking great care of it because I was in grad school (and hence very poor and very busy), but now I'm ready to fix up my car the best I can. I'm hoping to learn more about automotive maintainence in general here as I'm a neophyte in mechanics. Problems I'm currently addressing with my car include:
1) Check Engine Light: Low O2 sensor (O2 sensor being replaced by mechanic)
2) Check Engine Light: Fuel recirculation problem (3 engine parts being replaced by mechanic)
3) Dim headlights (trying to clean lenses and buying new headlamps....might have to buy whole new assembly )
4) Frayed driver's seatbelt (causing my car to fail TX state inspection test )
5) Brakes squeak for first minute or so that the car is started (think I need to replace the brake pads)
6) Horrible squeaking when opening the rear passenger doors (just needs to be greased I hope)
You'll probably find me posting for specific help about some of these problems soon.