• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Locked keys in car

I used a flatheaded screw driver kinda near the back corner of the window close to where it splits for the rear door, and pulled outward to get enough room to get a clothes hanger in and then reached down and pulled the handle with the hook to get it open..... be careful not to scratch your car up too much with the screw driver...... but now I have steck auto opening tools, the same things AAA have when they come to do your car.... :cool:

BigEasy_graphic.jpg

Slim jim worked. I made one out of some thin gauge mild steel at work. When I got home, I pulled the door panel off my other Contour to see how the mechanism worked. There is a cable running from the lock/handle assembly back to the door latch. On the door latch, there is a lever that the cable runs to that actuates the latch. If you push that lever down with a slim jim, the door will open. You just have to push down towards the rear of the door, just behind the exterior handle as Ray mentioned.

All came from experience... firsthand.. at 2am.. in the rain.. sleeting rain.. in January.. with a short sleeve shirt on.

I don't think I could forget the layout of the inside of that door if I had to.

December with my remote start system in which the car was running, it auto locked when I got out to clean the windows.... had to use a screwdriver and clothes hanger after I used a credit card to card my cousins apartment door open for tools and a clothes hanger....

Last edited:
and why i have a key that doesn't start the car.
If the key physically turns in the cylinder but doesn't start the car, sounds like a problem with PATS. (Of course if it doesn't turn at all then you're right.)
But echoing EuroTour, you should have one key for all locks trunk/ignition/doors.

Okay this isnt something i should tell everyone.... but there's a rubber plug directly underneath the trunk release lever. figure the rest out yourselves lol

Back