• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tune-up didnt clear codes

BooleanShootin

New CEG'er
I've been reading this forum for a while, years off and on, and finally have some problems with the 98 contour duratec V6 which defies the logic of those paid great money to fix such things. So, I am taking matters into my own hands. At 100,000 the car had a "tune-up" and had several codes which went away for about 50 miles. Took it back and they said the MAF needed cleaning according to a technical service bulletin. Drove it home and 30 miles later CEL on again. Took it to autozone and had them scan for the codes and got:

What I have noticed is that the air cleaner housing is missing 2 or 3 clips. I cant help but think this cant be good even if it has been this way for 30,000 miles.

Could a ever so slightly loose air cleaner cover be the same as a vacuum leak?

Also, This CEL turned off spontaneously yesterday and then came on again today. The weather was damp, rainy, muggy when it went out and dry and clear today when it came back on 2/10 mile after start. I cant help but think that humidity could cause something, but what, to swell just enough to close a leak.

A vacuum leak is trouble since I dont even know where to start looking.

Thanks for any help

Those are lean codes for bank one (rear bank). In the absence of a vacuum leaak on the rear bank only, you probably need to replace the oxygen sensor. Congratulations, it's the hardest one to access.

I finally got mine loose from underneath although I had to remove the coil pack to access the wiring connector.

If I were to do this again, I would custom modify a wrench to fit. I would use a 7/8" or 22mm (if I remember the correct size) and have a torch handy to heat the wrench and bend it as needed with several trial fits.

Others have posted how they gained access to theirs if you want to search a bit.

Thanks, I have viewed that one before and it might be time. I mentioned it to them before and they resisted, saying they could replace it but that might not fix it. Unbelievable how much $$$ they seem to try to make before fixing the main problem.

Thanks, this will be interesting.

Chances are, you have BOTH a bad sensor and a vacuum leak.

Don't be surprised if the sensor gets replaced and you still have problems.

Steve

When I had to change that hard-to-reach sensor one year AutoZone loaned me an O2 sensor tool kit for free. One of the nice things in the kit was a crowfoot wrench. After the coil pack was removed it took about as much time as it does to change the oil filter to replace that sensor. The crowfoot wrench makes it quite easy to do from underneath if you have it up on jackstands.

On the AutoZone free tool rental, you don't have to buy the sensor from them to rent it. They have many other tools available for free rental as well. At least that was their policy the last time I rented from them.

This is enough to make you real angry. The problem was intermittent and had to go through emissions. It failed of course since the CEL was on. They were clueless and only suggest you pay money to fix it. They did spit out the codes, same as before, no surprise. I then took it to the local junk yard and asked them what the codes were. They agreed O2 and then said the other was "excessive slip" in the torque converter. I asked if low fluid would cause that? They said yes. I then went home and checked the fluid, it was fine. But, I noticed the transmission didstick was almost impossible to get back in. I dont remember it being that difficult.

Never mind about the transmission dipstick.

Last edited:
OK, here are the codes that came up:

This is different than the first time which was: 1131, 0171

Where do I find the references to the codes? Is this still saying change the O2?

www.contour.org
click "FAQ" on the left
click "Common problems"
scroll down to "engine" and find the "CEL list"

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1744[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck in Off Position.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1131[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1.[/FONT]
You've either still got that vacuum leak, but it would be a leak that was confiined to bank one alone (else you'd have a bank 2 lean code as well) (could also be a small exhaust leak AT THE BANK ONE sensor)

OR

You have a bad O2

As for the 1744.. I'd start thinking about having your transmission looked at by a REPUTABLE shop

Last edited:
Thank You, that clears up some confusion, leads to more too.

I have noticed the transmission shifting oddly every once in a while. Is there a sensor or vacuum line or something on the outside of transmission I could check to see if it is disconnected? 1744 sounds very scary. Torque converter clutch turned off? How in the world does it run at all?

RE: P1744 Your valve body is worn out and your torque converter is probably fried. BTDT, have the dirty t-shirt.

Replace the upstream O2 sensor, firewall side (yeah, the one that's a real PITA to replace). BTDT (twice), have the T-shirts....

Don't worry, that P0171 code will probably come back again next fall or winter once the weather turns cold and stays there.

Steve

Last edited:
RE: P1744 Your valve body is worn out and your torque converter is probably fried. BTDT, have the dirty t-shirt.

Replace the upstream O2 sensor, firewall side (yeah, the one that's a real PITA to replace). BTDT (twice), have the T-shirts....

Don't worry, that P0171 code will probably come back again next fall or winter once the weather turns cold and stays there.

Steve

I went and picked up a sensor from Ford, but I'm not sure if it is the upstream one. I tried to determine it from the parts schematic. The part number was 9F472, specifically, F5RZ-9F472-B. Is it the same sensor for either manifold or do both manifolds share 1 sensor upstream and then 2 sensors downstream? Very confusing, this is.

Re: P0171 and winter, what is that or why? You seem very knowledgable and I appreciate any explanations and help. I originally noticed weather sensitivity, but I am clueless how to fix.

Steve

Wait a second, your answer is cryptic, (BTDT)Broke That Darn Transmission? Did this happen to you? What exactly are you saying?

OK, just found this thread and wanted to update. Both the O2 sensors up front were changed at the same time. All the codes went away within 10-12 miles. Cleaning the MAF(Mass Airflow?) sounds like a good idea even without any codes. I'll check the DIY on here, should be there?

Thanks,

Harry

Leave the MAF sensor alone if you don't have any codes. You might end up breaking it accidentally.

Back