• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

"Rattling" noise coming from the rear...

WOAH!

score one for the n00b! I have a feeling you are going to do just fine around here.

Ok, so I just rotate the brake line to the underside of whatever that bar is (I know suspension systems real well :troutslap:)? I tried it and it was difficult and stiff to move... Since I do not know anything about brake lines either I did not want to snap it out of the drums, LOL...

Ok, so I just rotate the brake line to the underside of whatever that bar is (I know suspension systems real well :troutslap:)? I tried it and it was difficult and stiff to move... Since I do not know anything about brake lines either I did not want to snap it out of the drums, LOL...

no no no, that line on the "bar" is the e-brake line. and the bar is one of the rear lower control arms.

what you need to replace is your rear sway bar endlinks and bushings.

Rattling Noise from Rear

Rattling Noise from Rear

Others mentioned the TSB re: Parking brake routing and stabilizer end link bushings already. The stabilizer end link bushings are likely. Another thing to look at is the stabilizer center (or D) bushings mounted to the rear crossmember (subframe). The stabilizer bar could be loose due to a broken bracket on the crossmember. The brackets are welded to the crossmember and virtually impossible to reweld in place. A new crossmember is required - about $200 from your local Ford dealer or $400 from BAT for a reinforced one designed to cure this. I went with the OE one as it lasted 9 years/97K miles. It is straightforward to replace if you have the Ford Workshop Manual and a second person (very important). It took us 3 hours with air tools. I marked the rear alignment cam bolts with an arrow pointing down so we could reinstall them as before. I then took the car for an alignment and was only off 0.30 degrees!

Best of luck!

I have a 1995 Ford Contour with a "rattling" sound coming from the rear... I read somewhere that it had something to do with the way the rear brake lines were mounted, but now I can not find the link anywhere... Any help?

Back