• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lincoln LS 3.0?

hotrod88

CEG'er
Yes, I know this is a newb question and I searched and could find no mention of a yea or nay on it, but will a Lincoln LS 3.0 be a bolt in for a Contour? Basically is it the same block and heads? The intake is horribly different, but I didn't want to use that anyway. Ive been considering a 3.0 swap for maybe a year now and I just ran across a NO MILE from Ford Lincoln 3.0 for fairly cheap and if it does fit I may buy it just to shove in my garage until I can get the time to put into it.

Thanks!

someone tried it a few year ago, and after months of frustration couldnt get it working.

I think it was mostly Dom that did the COP work with the help of Terry.

yeah thats right, someone saw it in terry's shop.

I assumed he was the one doing it. But either way, he assisted in the project.

I would like to see it done around here, I really am interested in that.

^^^ Correct, the higher HP motor was an '05 3L, had COP from the factory. Separately, Dom also has COP on older 3Ls now. Two not quite related things.

COP doesn't make more power. There were other factors involved that resulted in the higher numbers.

Yeah the stock Contour runs a wasted spark setup, so you have three coils, each coil firing two cylinders togehter, problem is one cylinder is on it's compression stroke and can actually use the spark where the other is on it's exhaust stroke so that spark is wasted hence the name "wasted spark"

True coil on plug is where each cylinder only only gets spark when it's in it's compression stroke. The coil has more time to rest between when it's got to fire again so therefore it's got more time to build up a stronger spark and can deliver a stronger spark at higher rpm, probably also allows for a little more timing advance with less chance of misfire up top so I'm guessing that is were the extra power comes in.

Running coil on plug on the Contour with a wasted spark setup doesn't really do much.

The Contour's ECU probably only has three coil drivers so you can never fire 6 coils from it.

If the Contour ECU somehow had 6 coil drivers in it and there was a way to reprogram the ECU to reference the cam sensor to understand what stroke each cylinder was in than it would be possible to run a true coil on plug, but don't see why the Contour ECU would have 6 coil drivers.

Back