• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CHEAP CAT

If the cat is clogged, an MIL will not help and would probably make the situation worse down the road...:nonono:

You could always try to find one out of a junk yard, NOT off of a high milage car obviously.

Also have you tried any autoparts stores? That sounds pretty high price. Maybe even an "after market" high flow or a "universal" should do the trick.

If the cat is clogged, an MIL will not help and would probably make the situation worse down the road...:nonono:

You could always try to find one out of a junk yard, NOT off of a high milage car obviously.

Also have you tried any autoparts stores? That sounds pretty high price. Maybe even an "after market" high flow or a "universal" should do the trick.

I called up the local parts store here (Oreilly Automotive), and they said they couldn't even get one for the Zetec. I called them up 'cause I get everything at their price. :laugh:

He didn't specify that it was clogged. Cats don't always clog, sometimes they just stop breaking down the emissions and you get the P420. If it is clogged though, gut it.

He didn't specify that it was clogged. Cats don't always clog, sometimes they just stop breaking down the emissions and you get the P420. If it is clogged though, gut it.

thats a big risk to be taking though.

I say, if there isnt emissions testing where he is from... he should just get a High flow cat for really cheap, which essentially is just a box that looks like a cat, but is just a straight pipe, and get an MIL eliminator, extra horsepower, no CEL.

high flow cats on ebay are about $100.

i would call some local custom exhaust places and see if they have anything used, i got a used magnaflow cat, that was used for 2 months for free! i paid $60 for that installed, plus two new y pipe bolts, and the guy rewelded, 3 welds that were leaking (cherry bomb install gone bad, my exhaust has like 5 welds)

well thats even better, i see all the dumb people that miss stuff like that, one of my asshole service advisors need a new cat for his Toyota Avalon, and ended up paying like $900, which was bull for two reasons, for whatever reason clair toyota would not give him a good deal even though he works at clair acura, and two WHO THE HELL PAYS $900 for a cat? the guys nuts, if i liked him more i would made a few cheap suggestions.

Funny thing about cats -- they respond better to being driven more than driven less. Cars that are more than a few years old with low mileage are often more prone to cat failure than those that have been run all over the fruited plain. The reason is simple: short trips result in less complete burns, and more emissions buildup. Long highway stretches burn very clean, and very completely. This is why Laura's cat was replaced early on under warranty -- at four years old, when I bought her, she only had 35,800 miles. I don't do many short trips, so she stays cleaner. :cool:

Cheapest (and possibly friendliest) cat you'll find (picture is from a shelter website):
http://noahhunt.org/CatShelter/Shelter12-24-04-8.jpg
Shelter12-24-04-8.jpg

Back