• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Had to put the timing off to get it to go!

Just changed the timing belt of my 98 Zetec 4 engine. Did the entier procedure with the proper tools. The engine did not go well at all. Got motivated did the entiere thing again timing was still perfect put the crank pin in thurned the engine slowly by hand till it touched. The flat bar a still fits like a glove. Exept for the exaust cam witch you have to help by hand for the last 2 degre's. The car still did not work well. Finaly did it with my felling the engine was in advance so i did the entiere proceedure again installed the crank pin in turned the engine again's it and then remouved the pin and turned it 4 morre degree's on the crank. Finaly the car is ok.

The question is wy? Could me engine be out of spec. Could i be douing it rong. Did this happen to other member's?.

Lost a lot of time getting it back on the road.

Thanks for any info.
Sebastien
icon6.gif

you could have been not lining up the crankshaft properly, its really hard to see the timing marks let along get them absolutely perfect.

Also, you may think your timing is perfect, but a week later whiler driving you could throw a CEL telling you your cam timing is retarded or advanced, but the car will feel like it runs fine.

Timing belts arent fun, trust me... but it sounds like you have the right tools for the job, which would make it a lot easier.

Timing pin used!

Timing pin used!

How can i not get the timing i have the timing pin. I used the timing pin and then had to turn more.

Back