• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Duratec 35

CEM Rider

CEG'er
"The engine is the same exterior size as the Duratec 30, and should be usable in all vehicles currently using that engine and its derivatives." -Wikipedia

So does this mean that it will be able to be put in place of the duratec 3.0 and maybe see some duratec 35 csvt?

FYI 265 hp at launch when variable cam timing engaged over 300 hp

Only if you think you can convince the SVT's computer that it can do all the extra work that variable cam timing and so forth requires. The engine might fit...it might even let you bolt up a manual transmission, but there's so much involved outside of dropping it in.

This is going to become a farily common ford engine as it will also be used in the ford five hundred.

Haha, this engine doesn't use Variable Exhaust Valve Timing ... imagine the possibilities....then ford screws it up...too bad this engine is 6 years too late :s.

This is going to become a farily common ford engine as it will also be used in the ford five hundred.

if you want the new duratec 35, your going to have to find a wrecked 2007 lincoln mkz or the ford edge. To my knowledge, its not going to be an option on the 500 yet.

Haha, this engine doesn't use Variable Exhaust Valve Timing ... imagine the possibilities....then ford screws it up...too bad this engine is 6 years too late :s.
They already have intake, it's not too hard to add exhaust and it's probably already been evaluated. I know for sure that they have designed in capability already for turbocharging, direct injection, and more displacement. 265hp out of 3.5L on regular unleaded is a big step up from the 3.0L and is very competitive with other manufacturers. It also meets California ULEV status.

They didn't screw it up. More variants will come out as production of the engine ramps up and vehicles that can use it come to market.

So theoretically (until someone actually tries it), it would seem the only barrier is an electronic one: the PCM. Either need to teach the existing one how to do VVT or get one from a Fusion and strip out the ATX stuff and test to see if it will work with the other electronics in the car (NIGHTMARE!). Either way, I think either one is probably well above anyone's abilities short of an engineer at Ford.

no there are ALOT more barriers than you think, the 2.5 is already really tight, and it would be a 3.5L hybrid, it actually might not even fit really well...

So theoretically (until someone actually tries it), it would seem the only barrier is an electronic one: the PCM. Either need to teach the existing one how to do VVT or get one from a Fusion and strip out the ATX stuff and test to see if it will work with the other electronics in the car (NIGHTMARE!). Either way, I think either one is probably well above anyone's abilities short of an engineer at Ford.

The first thing to look at before even attempting is the mounts. If there is any way to economically adapt this engine to the subframe and factory contique mounts, then we may have a shot at it. I wouldn't be too worried about the VVT, as that's what they make stand alone engine management systems for. All you would need is a base map of the valve/ignition/fuel tables. (is that all?) It's been done before with anything V-TEC.

The biggest problem I would foresee would be the tranny issue. We won't know for sure until someone gets it apart and looks at it. That's my .02 cents.

no there are ALOT more barriers than you think, the 2.5 is already really tight, and it would be a 3.5L hybrid, it actually might not even fit really well...
Please share your insight with everyone else! What are the other barriers that the guy whom already has a 3.0L in his 96 SE is unaware of?

There's gotta be some hardcore CEGers with the ability and motivation to do something like this still around.

Please share your insight with everyone else! What are the other barriers that the guy whom already has a 3.0L in his 96 SE is unaware of?

Just a note: I'm making the assumption the 3.5 block is nearly the same on the outside as the 3.0 block. After thinking about it, just becuase they're the same "size" doesnt' mean all the mounts are all in the same exact spots. Just something to consider.

the crankshaft line is not in the same spot either, which means there are currently no manual transmissions that will work with it in the Contour package space.

I'm not saying its impossible to do, but right now, its extremely expensive and difficult to even consider.

here is a question, Why? People still havent seen the limits of the 3L yet, only the limits of the contours ability to put the power down.

Dropping the 35 would be pointless other than to say you can do it.

Money would be better spent on getting Slicks and axles made etc.

Yes you do have a point... I just ran across this and it said could be used as an upgrade to exisitng duratec 3L...Just wondering if the contour platfrom was a viable option apperntally not.

Back