• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Lubrication System.

Port Hueneme(Oxnard) California ;4.4 miles from Vo
Does anyone have any detailed specifications, diagrams, or technical information regarding the Zetec's lubrication system. I am looking for information on the oil retaining valve, and on any oil pressure regulators that might exist in the oil pump assembly. I am trying to diagnose if my car is experiencing excessive flow to the top end of the engine, or too little drainage to the sump.
Thank you very much for your assistance!

What symptoms do you have? Excessive oil flow to the top end isn't really a bad thing unless it's collecting on top of the head and not draining back properly. Easiest thing is to pull the valve cover and blow out the oil return passages with compressed air.

during right hand turns he has oil coming out of the valve cover vent. quite a bit IIRC. I think its lack of drain back from the head myself.

What symptoms do you have? Excessive oil flow to the top end isn't really a bad thing unless it's collecting on top of the head and not draining back properly. Easiest thing is to pull the valve cover and blow out the oil return passages with compressed air.

What would be the best method for blowing out the oil returns since they are not directly accessible?

My car has been using excessive quantities of oil. The oil comes out of the valve cover breather at high RPM and on hard right hand turns. I have triple checked the whole PCV system, and there are no leaks. The PCV valve is ok, as is the PCV valve grommet. I have done some tests and there is a lot of pressure building up in there.

There is a small valve under the intake cam shaft, that is described as the oil retaining valve, and I would like to know what purpose that valve serves.

Back