• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

gas tank

Random Hero

CEG'er
my floater in my gas tank is busted so my gas gauge doesnt work. i had a mechanic look at it but he priced it at 500 dollars and told me id have to replace the entire tank. is this true? is there a cheaper way to fix it? or do i have to keep counting my miles so i know when to fill up cause im definately not paying that.

go to a bone yard, pull the back seat out of the contour (ie the one that's at the junk yard not yours) and take what you need. I don't think it''d be much more complicated than that. search in the old forums, there's a how-to on the gas tank in the old forums that you can use to get the job done. hope this helps

Edit: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=5023&highlight=tank+howto

here's a link should be the same for all models

Last edited:
You need a fuel pump. That has the float on it.

If you want to pull one at a junk yard, bring tin snips, a hammer, and a brass punch. You'll see why when you get the seat off.

It's not that easy, but if you have a clue it's not that hard.
You're gonna wind up tearing up the metal under the seat to get it out. But you put the seat back on and everythings back to normal.

I agree about going to the junkyard, even if it's just for practice.
If you do get one from the junkyard, hit up autozone and get the sock (filter) that goes on the end. It'll run you about $15...

Last edited:
Back