• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec/ATX gas mileage

Klasse Act

I pee with gloves on!
As some of you may or may not know I'm seriously looking into getting a "work car" as I'm a legal courier and don't want to rack up a bunch of miles on my MINI, so I might, I repeat, MIGHT, get a Contour but its gotta be a Zetec w/an ATX because I'm looking for mileage and convience. So my question to you guys is this, for those who really check their mileage the right way, what do you get? Also, those with cars that are bone stock, what should I look for in a Contour w/a Zetec and ATX? Hector told me to try and get a 2000 because the trans is better, you thoughts and input are greatly appreciated because who knows, I may be a "legit" member of this forum again, you never know:shrug:

i would say high 20s to low/mid 30s should be about right.

...If it's running properly. For some reason mine is averaging about 24 :shrug:. When I do a liiiitle bit more highway then maybe I'll creep up to around 26. Although on this last tank I think I got much better at around 28. I reset my trip meter EVERY time I fill up. It's nearly a religion or something...

Mid to high 20s would be a good estimate, mixed driving, bone stock. Car will run better/get better mileage if you open up the intake and exhaust a little.

i would say either a 97 or a 2000 MY would be best. the 98s were the first year for the VCT and have consistently had problems with it. by 2000 Ford had it figured out. the only downside to a 2000 is that Ford was removing extra features.

the 97 was probably the best of the pre98s. it had OBD2 but Ford removed the remote fuel door so there is no issues with it. plus you can find one for cheaper than youll find a 2000. also no VCT to mess with either.

For reference Roger, my 97 WITH the turbo still gets ~28MPG mixed city/highway.

I average 28 city. Dont do to much highway anymore, but I'm sure I'd break 30 if it was just highway miles.

That is a BS statement. :nonono: Like I said before Roger....look for a 2000.
BS? what about the thread per week asking why there cars not running right and there all post 98s. most have problems, some dont. either way pre98s you dont have to guess on if your going to have vct trouble or no. I understand the 2000s had most vct problems worked out but stay away from the 98/99. those seem to ahve the most problems

So, 97, 99 or 2000 then:cool:

As far as Ford removing things from the car, well, all I care about is using it as a work vehicle and keeping the mileage and potential damage off of my MINI. I'd like to buy one from someone on the CEG, but its gotta be pretty releable and stock, keep your eyes and ears open over the next couple monthes, i.e. late January/early February.

BS? what about the thread per week asking why there cars not running right and there all post 98s. most have problems, some dont. either way pre98s you dont have to guess on if your going to have vct trouble or no. I understand the 2000s had most vct problems worked out but stay away from the 98/99. those seem to ahve the most problems

vct problems here, they suck and ruin your gas millage. Going to tony's, in ohio over the summer, i had about 16-18 HIGHWAY MPG. Its up to about 20-22 now but still sucks with a vct problem.

99 Contour SE 2.0L (spruce green)
Sound system(full system planned)
Custom Ram Air Intake
Glass pack exhaust(full exhaust planned)

I see tickets in your future and not because of your radio:help:

99 Contour SE 2.0L (spruce green)
Sound system(full system planned)
Custom Ram Air Intake
Glass pack exhaust(full exhaust planned)

I see tickets in your future and not because of your radio:help:

for being loud im guessing? i follow the speed limit most of the time.

well, striker2 has steered me toward 2 borla mufflers once i put headers on. Hope the will be quite enough

I've had a '95 ATX Zetec that averaged high 20s with my dad/sister driving, and low 20s with me driving. Right now I'm driving a '99 ATX Zetec and I'm managing mid to high 20s with mixed driving, with the time bias leaning towards highway.

Back