• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 Engine and trans replacement q's

ducttapepro03

CEG'er
I have an early 98 zetec (10/97) with a bad transmission(atx). I'm looking to replace both the engine and tranny together. I have an atx from a 96(?) and am now looking for a motor. I have found one from a 99 mystique with a decent amount of miles for a good price. Am I going to run into issues with the fact that the 99 would have vct whereas I don't believe mine does? I know i'm going to have to see if it is a return or returnless style fuel system too.
so A. Will swaping a vct motor with an older trans be a problem?
B. Will the vct cause me any other issues as far as conectors or sensors go(since mine doesn't have any)?
C. If the new motor is returnless I'll have to swap the fuel rail from the current (return style) motor onto the new motor correct?
D. will the older transmission be an issue with the newer motor?
I think thats it for now... hopefully someone can help out this relative noob!

Last edited:
Ok so this is more just an update. I've found that I will be able to swap, I'm yet to figure out if I'll have to get an updated pcm, or just the vct delete kit. I'll update this when I find out for sure as well as what all is different.

You most certainly will have issues. You would need to swap computers along with the engine and trans. Even with the VCT delete kit you would still have a check engine light, and you would never pass inspection.

It's really not worth it unless you somehow came upon a really great deal on a perfect condition, very low mileage engine/trans/computer. Try to find an engine that matches yours, or rebuild the one you have.

What's wrong with your engine, anyway?

white smoke and a misfire. and it has 160k and the compression on the other cylinders isn't very even.
I have an extra computer from a 98 with a vct motor.

It might only take a head gasket to fix your engine. If you can do that yourself, it would be less than an engine and the complications of dealing with the modifications.

Gar

It might only take a head gasket to fix your engine. If you can do that yourself, it would be less than an engine and the complications of dealing with the modifications.

Gar

X2 that, sounds like a bad head gasket, might not be a bad idea to get it rebuilt while apart you'd still be gettin err done for cheaper.

I agree on the head gasket. And just having 160k miles certainly doesn't warrant a rebuild. Zetecs go forever.

Also, while you have the head off, take a look at the head and make sure everything is ok. Carbon on the valves could be causing them to not seat properly, and thus give you low compression.

If you really want to, throw some new rings on at the same time.

But don't worry about your engine dying just because of a measly 160k!

Back