• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock replacement fuel pump redesigned

Lou3

CEG'er
I picked up my car from the mechanic today after having the fuel pump replaced. The new pump was ordered from the dealer, which concerned me because of the reliability issues I've read about on this forum and experienced with my car (bucking when going uphill or turning with less than a 1/4 tank). The mechanic was certain that Ford improved the pump, so I agreed to have it installed. Sure enough, the installation guide that came with the pump described it as a redesigned model. The only difference specified was that the redesigned pump was top-mounted, but I think it's safe to assume that it addresses the original model's flaws. I realize the FSVT model is a popular replacement, but my point is that it appears you don't need to be worried about a stock replacement's performance like I was. Time will tell, but the car feels great so far.

Last edited:
Mine was a Motorcraft part. No concerns about reliability here. Bet yours cost a little more than the $100 it cost me for the whole deal though.

Yeah, I had to pay a premium because of the situation. Again, I'm not saying it's necessarily the best choice on the market, but just posting an FYI.

I remember installing a few of the redesigned pumps, mainly in the Focus. I'm going to replace mine soon, before it gives me problems.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a part number for this new pump? Is a pump from Advance Auto Parts good enough, or do I need to get an OEM one? The OEM pump on Team Ford Parts online is $211.17, which is a bit pricey. Did Ford redesign the pump basket? I mean a pump is a pump, how can it be designed any differently.

Does anyone have a part number for this new pump? Is a pump from Advance Auto Parts good enough, or do I need to get an OEM one? The OEM pump on Team Ford Parts online is $211.17, which is a bit pricey. Did Ford redesign the pump basket? I mean a pump is a pump, how can it be designed any differently.

I have e-mailed Bill Jenkins at Team Ford Parts Online about this matter. This is his response:

Originally Posted by Bill J. at Team Ford

Lavell,

I can tell you that the pump was redesigned, not sure if it was for better performance but it was redesigned. The part number is F6RZ-9H307-AB.

Originally Posted by Lavell

Hi Bill,

I have a question. I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump on my 1996 Ford Contour. I'm told that the fuel pump was redesigned for better performance. Is this true? If so, do you have it in stock? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Lavell

I have e-mailed Bill Jenkins at Team Ford Parts Online about this matter. This is his response:

Originally Posted by Bill J. at Team Ford

Lavell,

I can tell you that the pump was redesigned, not sure if it was for better performance but it was redesigned. The part number is F6RZ-9H307-AB.

Originally Posted by Lavell

Hi Bill,

I have a question. I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pump on my 1996 Ford Contour. I'm told that the fuel pump was redesigned for better performance. Is this true? If so, do you have it in stock? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Lavell
the return style fuel systems dont have the problems with the fuel pump like the returnless ones do.

why do you think you need a new pump?

the return style fuel systems dont have the problems with the fuel pump like the returnless ones do.

I think I need a new pump because I am experiencing the hesitation and bucking when the car gets low on fuel. I searched on the topic and it sounded like that was the first step in troubleshooting the problem after the plugs and wires.

I think I need a new pump because I am experiencing the hesitation and bucking when the car gets low on fuel. I searched on the topic and it sounded like that was the first step in troubleshooting the problem after the plugs and wires.
I was asking Lavell

in your case, livelyjay, get the focus SVT pump. there is a guy on ebay that has some for $99 plus $20 shipping. i have already ordered one for my 2000 SVT since it has the same issue.

I was asking Lavell

in your case, livelyjay, get the focus SVT pump. there is a guy on ebay that has some for $99 plus $20 shipping. i have already ordered one for my 2000 SVT since it has the same issue.
Too late. I already bought the full fuel pump assembly from teamfordparts.com for $230 shipped. It's worth it for me, because I think the fuel level sending unit is bad as well.

Too late. I already bought the full fuel pump assembly from teamfordparts.com for $230 shipped. It's worth it for me, because I think the fuel level sending unit is bad as well.
the focus SVT pump is a complete assembly with the sending unit as well.

I've read about the problems that everyone was having with their fuel pumps. My pump is ok for now. I have no issues with it. I wanted the part number for the redesigned one just in case mine went bad.

At the time I asked that question, I was having problem with my car and started to think that my fuel pump was the problem. But I did an inspection and it turned out ok. At least now I have the part number so that I can share with those who need the redesigned fuel pump.

My car had the same issue to i decided to go with the redesigned contour pump rather than toy around with the more foreign fsvt pump. After a week I've had no problems, bucking is gone and it flows a little bit better than the older one did in its prime. I installed it myself so i didn't have any install costs apart from a few misc. items to make the install easier.

I did have to chop my floor a bit, but some pliers and ducttape made the hole good as new.

My car had the same issue to i decided to go with the redesigned contour pump rather than toy around with the more foreign fsvt pump. After a week I've had no problems, bucking is gone and it flows a little bit better than the older one did in its prime. I installed it myself so i didn't have any install costs apart from a few misc. items to make the install easier.

I did have to chop my floor a bit, but some pliers and ducttape made the hole good as new.
I just got the new pump yesterday, and it is the redesigned pump configuration. After seeing that I am glad I spent the extra money and didn't get the FSVT pump, which is the old design. The installation instructions say you need to cut off some tabs on the bottom of the tank with a special Ford tool. Is this true? How did you handle this part of the installation?

Back