• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

incorrect tire wear

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
the other day I was cleaning my car, and I decided to check how much tread life I have on my tires. Because I have a lowered suspension I really can only see the outside of the tire, so I never noticed this... But the inner part of both of my front tires is worn down substantially more than the outside edge, I know I need new tires soon so this isnt really bothering me because these tires really only need to make it till november, but I would like to figure out why so I can fix it so I dont wreck another set of tires. I am guessing this has to do with my alignment? Or does it have to do with the fact that I have Eibach springs?

try an alignment first but eibach spring shouldn't cause a camber problem, but you may need a camber kit

Lower the car drives the camber further negative. Our cars are built toward the outer limit for negative camber anyway (and mine was beyond in factory trim, requiring camber kits with factory springs.

With lowering springs, don't bother with an alignment until you install camber kits. You pretty much already have proof that you need them.

Try getting an alignment first. My car is lowered on a koni kit, and my camber was in spec without a camber kit.

Within spec does not mean no tire wear. Just inside spec is still outside of optimal tirewear ranges

Does it look anything like this?

camber2.jpg

My car made new tires look like this in a matter of a few months.

I got a ton of opinions and most said it was an alignment problem rather than a camber problem. Haven't got it checked yet since I've been away at college.

I hardly ever looked at the inside of my tires either.. i always wondered why my car had no traction in rain :nonono:

PS I have Eibachs too.. probably a coincidence though :)

Last edited:
one way to correct that a little without putting camber plates on is to put a half a degree of toe-in on the front. it will give you better steering feel and response as well as should fix your problem

Within spec does not mean no tire wear. Just inside spec is still outside of optimal tirewear ranges

I had a camber kit and removed it because it was more trouble than it was worth. Maybe I just got lucky, but I got the camber to stay in spec and have no abnormal wear.

Back