• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car Losing Power

Tdh24

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I was driving home from school today and my 98 zetec contour engine died. I was stopped at a red light and when i applied power to go the engine died. I restarted the engine and limped home with the car. The car does not have a lot of power now and just doesnt get up and go. Any ideas on what the problem could be. I just had the oil changed in it and new brakes put on. The car has 62,000 on it.

could be a million things. how is it running, any smoke? is it rough, is it loud? what's the temp gauge reading? do you get a check engine light? sorry, but we always need details.

it could be:
coil pack
sparkplugs
sparkplug wires
TBPS
vacuum leak
battery
alternator
fuses
fuel pump
fuel injectors
etc.
etc.
etc.

Need more exacts on the symptoms.

no check engine light, no smoke, no noise. Just when you give it some gas its just held back

how does it idle? if it's a rough idle, you most likely had a vacuum hose pop off. the fact that you're not getting a cel is probably a good thing, meaning it's most likely something simple. take some time, do a little looking around under the hood. things i'd do: check your alternator and battery with a voltmeter, find a compression tester (you can rent one from just about any autoparts store for very cheap), and run that test (ask if you need help); pull each spark plug wire, test that you're getting a spark on all 4 by sticking a screw driver in each one, then resting it just above your valve cover to see if a spark jumps (make sure all 4 are d/c'd when you try this); with the car off, pull the hose off the top of the fuel filter to make sure you still have fuel pressure, then put it back on; finally, i'd check the air filter, but it's probably not that, since no cel. anyway, just look around like that, it's most likely something simple.

Back