• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CEL Code P1381

bilyo

New CEG'er
I have a 1998 GL with Zetec 4, auto, with just under 60K miles. Oil is changed every 3-4000 miles with synthetic. P1381 code has been there for quite a long time. Remove it and it comes back. I understand that this code means that when the ECM calls for the cam to retard, it's not doing it or not doing it enough. If I understand it correctly, the cam is apparently staying in it's default advanced position, hence, normal running. Probably wouldn't pass an emissions test though. Either that or the position sensor is not working properly. I understand it could also be an oil contamination problem. I'm inclinded to discount this. My question is, of course, how do I test these components and determine which is the cause? Searching this forum led me to some links that help some. One talks about a test of the vct solenoid while the engine is running. It says to "back probe" the vct solenoid and then ground it briefly to see if the engine sound changes. I guess this would indicate that the vct is working. What does it mean to "back probe"? (no wisecracks, please). Before I can do anything with the position sensor, I've got to find it. Is it the device at the front corner of the engine near the battery with, I think, two wires going to it? Before I go on forever, can someone stear me to something clearly writen for the non-tech that will tell me step by step how to test and replace these components. Or, do you have to have some sophisticated equipment to find out anything. All I have is a digital VOM.
Thanks,
Bill

Here is a link that explains the code. http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/july2002/techtips.htm
The VCT Solenoid is on the cam under the valve cover. If you look on top of the valve cover, you will see where it plugs in. Check the wires and make sure they are not naked and rubbing together and make sure it is plugged in good. To back probe the wire use one of your leads from your digital VOM that you have and stick the sharp end into the plug on the wire of the VCT to test. More than likely your VCT is bad and will need to be replaced. I ended up replacing mine. Got it from TeamFord for about $260 I think.

CEL1381

CEL1381

DEC,
Thanks for the link and the other info. Actually, my search of older threads already led me to that article, but thanks anyway. How about the locatiion of the position sensor? Do you know where it's located? Can you point me to some instructions for checking it and replacing it if necessary? Which is most likely to be bad?
Bill

DEC,
Thanks for the link and the other info. Actually, my search of older threads already led me to that article, but thanks anyway. How about the locatiion of the position sensor? Do you know where it's located? Can you point me to some instructions for checking it and replacing it if necessary? Which is most likely to be bad?
Bill

ok where is that sensor:

so you standing in front of your car with the hood open(get the obvious crap out of the way). Now find/look at the oil cap, on that corner of the engine look down a few inches bellow the valve cover. You will find/see a sensor with a 2 wire plug. The wires are brown/white and purple/white i believe. The heat shield for the exhaust header has a bend at that corner to make room for the sensor. That is the cam shaft position sensor.

CEL 1381

CEL 1381

Devanmc,
Thanks. I thought that was it. Just wasn't sure. Now. Is it possible to test it with a VOM and get a conclusive answer. Or, do you need more sophisticated equipment?

I did the "engine running" test (in the link DEC1000 provided) on the VCT solenoid and there was no change to the way the engine was running when I grounded the ground wire. According to the article, I guess that means either the solenoid is not working or something in the gear assembly is not working. Looks like she needs to be opened up.
Bill

i cant remember exactly but use the OHM metter, if avalible on your voltmeter. But i dont remember what it should be though. It does sound like their is a problem with you solenoid

Interestingly enough I am the proud recipient of a P1381 on my 98 Zetec. I plugged in my scan tool and took off down the highway. At cruise the scan tool says that the timing advance is between 29.5 and 31 degrees. When I stomp on the accelerator pedal the timing drops to 14.5 - 16 degrees. Seems to be working so am puzzled as to what is wrong

Any ideas?

Russ

Back