• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P1744 - Is it still drivable?

Quick question,

Will the trans from a 4 banger drop into a V6 motor?

If not, can I get one from a .... V6 Escape or...?

Ok, did some homework.

No, the 4 banger trans will not fit a V6. it has a different starter setup/mount.

Still trying to find an answer for the V6 from another Ford/Merc/Mazda with same trans.

Last edited:
Ok, did some homework.

No, the 4 banger trans will not fit a V6. it has a different starter setup/mount.

Still trying to find an answer for the V6 from another Ford/Merc/Mazda with same trans.

I realize this is a few years out of date, but the question needs answering.

The quick answer is no. The electronics and mounting varies.

I'm working on a project now where I'm replacing the 4 banger with a Sable V-6, and I've mated it to an Escape transmission modified to work with a v-6 Contour PCM. The big issue in my project now is the rear mount system. Tranny bracket is different from the Contour - I-4 or V-6, rubber mount design is completely different, and the alignment is slightly offset. I'm fabbing a hybrid mounting system from the two sets of gear that will offer solid mounting, proper balance, and just as importantly, proper elevation.

The 6 cylinder also has bigger clutch drums that hold more clutch discs to handle the extra torque of the bigger motor.

Back