• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Changing Main Drive Belt

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
How hard is it, and what tools are needed? Old belt already broke and isnt there...any info is helpful...

3/8 breaker bar, apart from the socket(s) needed to remove the passenger side splash shield from behind the tire (so you can get to the 3/8" square that you place the breaker bar in to. (on the tensioner)

A little pull (perhaps a little leverage from a cheater bar to make it easy to pull, and then slide a new belt on everything, minus the alternator. Slide it around the alternator last.

release your breaker bar and allow the tensioner to tighten te belt.. inspect neighboring wires/connectors/etc for damage from when the old belt broke and slapped around in there.

make sure its a narrow 3/8's breaker bar though, you only have maybe half an inch to 3/4's between the wheel well and the hole.(not enough for a socket wrench by a fair margin) When I took my alternator out I had to compress the tensioner slightly and torque my breaker bar with a rather large wrench in order to get it in the hole. I suppose you can try filing it down if you have a spare if fittment is a problem.

This is one job that really is much easier with one of the specialty tools for releasing the tensioner. With the right tool it can be done from above with very little effort. I've done it both ways.

Thanks for the info Jim and Phil; somehow I was thinking that Ford actually made the tools.

I did mine with a 3/8" ratchet the last time too - wasn't terribly difficult. Maybe I'll snag one off ebay if I can find a cheapie.

Mine is impossible to do with a standard ratchet. It really sucked changing my alternator this past winter in the -15* weather. I had to actually wedge a bar in and pry the tensioner to loosen the tension. Such an easy and routine thing is such a PITA with my car.

Back