• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So fart cans.... good? bad? obvious...

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
well i got to UTI now and theres god damn paintless civics with fart cans galore, but i just have one question that i dont understand.

Why do would you use a fart can in the first place and why arent they used on V6's as much, i mean wouldnt it make sense not to have a huge muffler when you have a 1.6?

but then again ive been questioning fart cans lately because i got a job at Clair Acura in Walpole, and we get some RSX's that come in with big mufflers, that actually sound great! so my question is what is the purpose or difference of using a big can muffler rather that a flowmaster style muffler (dunno what the type is) because ive heard cars with fart cans that sound awsome and it almost makes me want a good sounded one (as stupid as that seems) ive heard rsx's that sound like F1 cars (in a good way) so what the deal with them? and why are they used over a flowmaster style muffler on almost all 4 cylinders but not many v6's and especially no v8's?

*sigh*

its not what the muffler looks like to give the tone, its the way the inside of the muffler is designed.

Fart can's are a design, and I will admit that they do look good on some cars, Take a CSVT for example, Rawburt has two MAGNAFLOW fart cans at the back, and I love the way it looks, The flow is fairly similar to any other performance type muffler.

Hell, if you REALLY want just performance, dont even put mufflers on your exhaust.

When you get to street legal they will go over the different style mufflers and how they work. just be patient and you will understand in due time.

I dont have any mufflers on my turbo zetec. and you can ask any of the guys that went to the Dragon this year. its actually not that loud.

I dont have any mufflers on my turbo zetec. and you can ask any of the guys that went to the Dragon this year. its actually not that loud.

I have one muffler, which is actually the magnaflow resonator in the middle of the exhaust, then just a straight pipe at the back with a tip to simulate having a muffler, looks good, sounds good.

I have a lot of people say nice things about that exhaust, most people expect it to sound buzzy and nasty like a civic, but are pleasently surprised by a low growl.

mine is a 2.5" turbo back exhaust with only a Monza resonated tip at the end. i need to get the exhaust redone so that it splits to 2 in the back for the SVT rear bumper. but if im gonna do it i might as well go with a 3" downpipe and exhaust. i might put a borla resonator in the middle but other wise i will only have the resonated tips out back.

Back