• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ignition Key is difficult to get in and out...

AbsolutSVT

CEG'er
Anyone else ever have this problem? I sprayed it with some penetrating grease but it is still difficult to get the key in and out. It feels like it is getting hung up and you gotta use some force to get it in and out.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I sprayed it with some penetrating grease but it is still difficult to get the key in and out. It feels like it is getting hung up and you gotta use some force to get it in and out.

I bet its the mechanism that holds the key in the ignition when the car is running, my pre98 did that, after a while it just quit being a PITA to get in and out. I also found that I could start the car, and run it without the keys.

a little oil/lock graphite should help the problem.

the key might also be contributing a little bit (I can pull my key out 1 way (w/o turning the ignition off) but not the other)

Same here; I just live with it too.. I've but some graphite in there (non liquid due to freezing) but it didn't really help.

Mike

If you push in on the cylinder while pulling the key out is should solve the problem. It's wear on the cylinder and the only fix is to replace it.

I just got done fixing my dash and my friend asked me what was up with the ignition as he went to move the car. I really hope this isnt going to start a trend. I have been pretty lucky with mine other than the alternator (knocks on wood) then again it is a ford...

Same deal here with both cars..On the tour I just lift up a bit on key as I pull it out. The mystique I just have to wiggle the key a little. My sons 03 Focus key got stuck half way in. Rubber mallet always works......

Mine has done this since I bought it. I mentioned it to the dealer and they just said push harder but when I persisted they gave me another key. That didn't help either but at least I got two sets of keys and fobs! The original key was sort of dirty on the sides - kind of a gummy substance on it. One possible problem that I can see is that if too much force is used all the time, it might cause some internal damage to the switch. My door ajar ringer is kind of messed up where it doesn't ring with any sort of rhythm. It rings fast and slow, etc. I hope that doesn't mean the switch is going to fail sometime in the future.
Karl

make sure you have a factory key, either the original or a copy made with a ford blank. usually with these cars when aftermarket key blanks are used they cause wear on the inside of the lock cylinder. when i first go my mystique it didnt have the original keys, one key actually almost broke off in the cylinder, got keys made at the dealer with ford blanks and it has worked great ever since.

Had all the same issues, graphite lock lube solved the problem. Any Ford key that looks like my ignition key will start my car though. Pretty funny that a key from my neighbor's '98 F150 will turn her over...

Back