• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fuel pump...

D

devanmc

My fuel pump is either slowly dieing or my sifter is clogged. Either way im looking at replacing it with a new or after market pump.

I have seen people post the focus fuel pumps will work. What am i looking for in these or any pump for that matter? Like what years will work, which wont(if focus), how many lph or gph, model numbers, brands(the good and bad)...ect.

I found a thread(started about 2months ago) which gave me some numbers and info. But it wasn't specifically on fuel pumps. So it was mentioned and then gone. Im kind looking for some discussion on this and in depth info.

Last edited:
No, i can figure that out on my own or pull out 1 of 2 manuals. Im looking for something better then stock but dont know what im looking for.:blackeye:

Depends on when your car was built. If it was built after 5/99 you have the returnless system you can use a Focus SVT pump (which I used). If it was built before.....you can look for a stocker.

Focus SVT fuel pump- $100 shipped from Bill J at teamfordparts.com. Also get a new pump gasket (a contour one).

Real easy- I'd say 2 hour job for a first-timer. Swapping the pump/strainer sounds confusing, but when you get the part and see it on the table next to your stock one, you'll understand what to do right away. Your other options are way more expensive and definitely not worth it. You're lucky you have returnless.

Awsome, ill add that to my list then. should i get a new strainer when i order the fuel pump? ive head and maybe know that they do start to get clogged.

I would hope that it comes w/ the strainer. Also, it is a good idea to replace the fuel filter when doing the pump. Hmmm, I may order an SVT pump also!

It comes with a strainer but you will not use it. The pump itself is in a plastic basket. You'll remove the stock pump/basket assembly, take the old pump out and clean the old strainer really good. Replace the old pump with the new focus one.

If I recall, you can't get a new strainer for the contour. The focus strainer will not fit in our basket. You have to make do with whats in there- scrub it like crazy!

Also, while youre in there, remove the disc-shaped screen at the bottom of the basket. It's unneeded and just asks to get clogged.

I've been running the Focus SVT pump since last summer, when my stock one started to die. For me, it was a matter of price- a new contour pump would have been something like $400!

Last edited:
Thanks alot, will be getting one of these in like a month then. Ill let you know how it goes for me. lets hope i dont break something.

once i start to get to or around 1/4 tank(and bellow). If i accelerate hard through a turn(right or left) it will lean out. Also, once it gets to about 1/8 tank it leans out frequently(w/o turning) and has stalled a couple times, even lower(fuel light on) is about the time it completely dies. i can get a few more troubled mile to a gas station.

so until i get it addressed my E line is 1/4tank.

once i start to get to or around 1/4 tank(and bellow). If i accelerate hard through a turn(right or left) it will lean out. Also, once it gets to about 1/8 tank it leans out frequently(w/o turning) and has stalled a couple times, even lower(fuel light on) is about the time it completely dies. i can get a few more troubled mile to a gas station.

so until i get it addressed my E line is 1/4tank.
I have a similar problem. At about 1/3 tank, my car will buck and almost stall if I take a left turn too fast (which is not very fast). Recently, it has been chugging when going up steep hills. I got many miles out of it by keeping the tank above 1/2, but it looks like the fuel pump is finally on its last leg. I'm going to replace it this weekend, probably with a Bosch or Master from the local parts store. The Focus SVT pump sounds like a good option, but I think an aftermarket will meet my needs for the rest of the time I have the car.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks I should keep in mind when changing the pump? It should be a returnless (car is post 5/99), and I understand I can change it from the back seat. I'll of course install a new fuel filter.

Last edited:
Tips: Don't bend the retaining ring holding the fuel pump....makes it much harder to get back in.

Try to have under 1/4 of a tank of gas....this makes for less of a mess.

You will need sheet metal snips.

I didn't realize I'd need to do any cutting. Without cutting, am I correct in assuming the tank needs to be dropped?

In most cases, yes. IIRC, there are some MY body's that did not require the under seat opening to be trimmed.

I'm having similar issues with my pump and was wondering if i would need just the pump for the 2002 focus svt or would i also need the in tank sending unit?

Back