• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1-2 shift more difficult than rest

98TredSVT

Veteran CEG'er
My trans is rebuilt with a new clutch and when shifting during normal driving it feels great through all gears. Reverse is harder to get in than any other gears but I was under the imperssion it was supposed to be like that. When I try to shift into 2nd gear quickly, or at redline, it is much more difficult to get into gear than say 3rd, going from 2nd to 3rd is effortless, like a flick, but going into 2nd I pull real hard. It never grinds or has any problems going into any gears but this is just somewhat annoying. Could it be my shift forks? Where can you buy shift forks and aside from pulling the transmission out, what is involved in replacing them with the updated ones?ds

Same problem

Same problem

I have the exact same problem, and now (after a broken shift fork!) my tranny is on the work bench at my mechanic.

There is an upgraded part #99ZZ7C445AA (these are the small dice like plasitic pieces that 'pop' in to the ball section of the linkage.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will help the shift.

Any insight is welcome

I am having the same problem too. Its tough to get it into 2nd gear. During normal driving say shifting at around 3 grand it shifts sorta smooth, but again when shifting in the upper RPMS, its very difficult to shift from 1'st to 2nd. Does this sound like shift forks? the other shifts are pretty good. I changed the trans oil with r.p synchromax. I used the fill till spill method, but maybe I didn't put enough in. once it started to trickle out, I closed it up. Also I just replaced my cable end link with a new one. It shifts into gears fine, but just very hard to shift from 1 to 2 at higher rpm.

-Adam

Back