• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to add auto down to passenger door

yes it works on my 95 and I will be doing it to my 99. I have the harnesses made just need the time to do the install.

How can I help you?

AF

Last edited:
?

?

Excuse my ignorance, but can you just take a driver's harness and put it in the passenger side. Seems like a lot less work if you could.

S/F Aussie :)

Good question I'm sure others have thought of that but not asked. NO is the answer since the drivers side has the Master Window switch, with a lot of wiring that controls all of the other window switches. You do need to remove the relay from a driver side harness and looking at how it is installed just copy that into the passenger side.

Thanks for the S/F, back at ya, & thanks for your service.

AF

I know someone told me that they had done one using the window relay. However, Chris Hightower did it using a radio shack relay. I got the drawing and am working on one to see how it works. You can search "express open" and perhaps find it. I don't know where the link is right now or I'd pass it on. Anyway I'm using an extra motor and switch to do the test on and see how it works. In case I screw it up it wont mess up my car... LOL and if it works I'll install it.

The only advantage is the radio shack relay is a lot smaller, and may go open and closed. That is what I'm looking for one relay two directions.

Time is the issue. I have several projects just needing a bit more of it..... ever had that problem?..... :shrug:

AF

I am interested in doing this now, great directions too might I add. My question is the auto down for the pass side door works on both driver and pass door window switch?

I am very interested in the sunroof project. I hate holding that button.

great !! i'm glad this thread is moving along. I've just done the 'one touch' up on the drivers door. I used a one touch down 4 wire relay. BTW.. yes is different to a stock 12v relay...it has a 'holding on' circuit in it. 1. Remove the window motor plug (2 wire). Cut the white and violet wire on the motor plug. Connect the yellow and green of the relay to the switch side of the white and violet wire you cut. 2.Connect the yellow and violet from the relay to motor side of the white and violet motor plug wire you cut. 3.The orange and blue relay wire connects to the violet and blue behind the window switch (black plug)..this is where the orange and blue goes in the loom anyway. 4.The black on the relay, i just put a crimp eyelet on and loosened one of the window motor bolts and grounded it there... phew typed it out while it was still fresh. The sunroof that Chris Hightower did was one way one touch only.. i don't have a spare sunroof motor but i'm keen to sort this out...just glad to prove that current can pass backwards through 'back to back' one touch relays...the only question for me now is the limit switch and if the motor will stop before the back lift on the sunroof....anyone know anything about that?...G.

great !! i'm glad this thread is moving along. I've just done the 'one touch' up on the drivers door. I used a one touch down 4 wire relay. BTW.. yes is different to a stock 12v relay...it has a 'holding on' circuit in it. 1. Remove the window motor plug (2 wire). Cut the white and violet wire on the motor plug. Connect the yellow and green of the relay to the switch side of the white and violet wire you cut. 2.Connect the yellow and violet from the relay to motor side of the white and violet motor plug wire you cut. 3.The orange and blue relay wire connects to the violet and blue behind the window switch (black plug)..this is where the orange and blue goes in the loom anyway. 4.The black on the relay, i just put a crimp eyelet on and loosened one of the window motor bolts and grounded it there... phew typed it out while it was still fresh. The sunroof that Chris Hightower did was one way one touch only.. i don't have a spare sunroof motor but i'm keen to sort this out...just glad to prove that current can pass backwards through 'back to back' one touch relays...the only question for me know is the limit switch and if the motor will stop before the back lift on the sunroof....anyone know anything about that?...G.

When I looked at this it appeared to me, the way the motor and the cam is it has to stop first when closing the roof and when closing the tilt.

When I looked at this it appeared to me, the way the motor and the cam is it has to stop first when closing the roof and when closing the tilt.
Hi Aussie; thanks for that info. Ultimately i want one touch up on all windows and one touch close on the moonroof...so that everything closes when you lock the car up with the key fob...well i'm one step closer..any other info welcome ...G.

I have harnesses done for the auto down on the rear doors, but doing the auto up on them could be a bit of an issue since space is limited. Please look at the door with the panel and liner removed, and take time to consider how the placement of the relays would be. Then ensure you mount them securely and that they or the wiring won't interfere with the window. I will do the auto down on them but maybe not the up since I wouldn't want to close my dog up in it.

AF

rofl..you'll have to teach your dog not touch things that it doesn't understand. J/K. Seriously, i've found with the one touch up..if you press the button once it closes the window in one go. If you want to stop it from closing, you press the UP again. Also my drivers 4 way window switch has a lock out switch to stop anyone else in the back operating the windows..G.

Back