• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fixing problem dint work.

D

devanmc

so to start off i have a cel. The definition for the code is that their is a short in the camshaft position sensor. With some help from a local CEG'er, i was able to find the short the repair it. Well problem now is, i still have the problem.

problem: while driving(car running for around 10min). the vct will not engage (adjust exhaust cam) and it will buck, grind and lose power while trying to adjust. I have figured out how to feather the gas or (atx) hold it in first or second to compensate for this problem(sometimes), but its still not good.

Though i may add when the car is first started(cold) or has sit for 15-20min(still hot) it does not have this problem, for the first 5-10mins-ish while driving. After the 5min it get progressively worse.

im starting to think its something other then the sensor...

any help is greatly appreciated.

how did you repair the wiring? if you soldered it, you may have a cold solder situation, giving you intermitant connection.

did you use the same gauge wiring? different gauge wiring could cause signal loss and/or not a strong enough signal.

Do you have access to a Time Domain Reflector (TDR)? that will allow you to trace line/signal loss to any specific location in an individual harness.

In the CPS wiring route check for inproper grounding or shorting.

This is a quick list of things that I'd look into. the tdr will probably not be accessable but if it is it can save you a bunch of time shooting wires.

I think I've got a short in my wiring for the CPS - where did your find your short? Are the wires hard to trace?

i found it befor the upper wire coupler. it has all the top sensors(cam, crank, temp, fuel reg, and injectors. if you are post 5/99 the coupler will be right bellow the intake plenum

how did you repair the wiring? if you soldered it, you may have a cold solder situation, giving you intermitant connection.

did you use the same gauge wiring? different gauge wiring could cause signal loss and/or not a strong enough signal.

Do you have access to a Time Domain Reflector (TDR)? that will allow you to trace line/signal loss to any specific location in an individual harness.

In the CPS wiring route check for inproper grounding or shorting.

This is a quick list of things that I'd look into. the tdr will probably not be accessable but if it is it can save you a bunch of time shooting wires.

what i did yesterday(fixing my crap wiring). i got a wiring harness for a junk yard. cut off the cam shaft position sensor wiring(chekced that it was good). then used buted connecters to clamp the wires together. the wiring are the exact same qauge. i guess ill try sodering next. i wish i has acsess to a tdr, didnt know something like that existed.

what do you mean by cps?

Last edited:
im not sure about the v6. i missed your sig. i have the zetec. just follow the sensor wire back. you will hit a coupler

im not sure about the v6. i missed your sig. i have the zetec. just follow the sensor wire back. you will hit a coupler

Yeah - I knew this was zetec - but I've got the same problem so I was just gathering info... I replaced the CPS and the CEL didn't go away - so I'm guessing it is wiring.. seemed to pop up after I installed my own MIL's.... hmmmmm :crazy:

check your wiring then. people brutally molested my car so idk how it happened here.

well if you cps doesnt work. then following and testing your wiring wont break anything. if its bad enough you could unplug it with no change.

Added: My new wiring job seems to have helped A LOT, after the first few days of the comp being reset. Seems the new wiring need to teach the ECM a thing or 2. Ill be re doing it, in time, by sodering the wires.

Last edited:
i don't understand what you say when "VCT will not engage".. It's not vtec, and it's only ACTIVE during deaccell... you don't even know when its on.

then what is the "adjustment" then, that the engine makes, or attempts to make, between the rpm range of 2500 and 4000???

I know that this "adjustment" is controlled partly by the cam sensor as it is my CEL and problem.

i have no idea what your talking about :shrug:

tha cam sensor is for VCT, but like i said its only active during deaccel.. if your vct sensor os bad, it will over retard or over advance your timing and cause poor performance.

i have no idea what your talking about :shrug:

tha cam sensor is for VCT, but like i said its only active during deaccel.. if your vct sensor os bad, it will over retard or over advance your timing and cause poor performance.

Yep, thats the problem. But the deaccel part makes no sense to me...

and it is not the sensor. It is the wiring between the sensor and the coupler under the plenum.

what im saying is if the VCT sensor is bad, it will try to adjust the timing all the time, accell or deaccell.. if VCT is working correctly it will only be active during deaccell..

go to zxtuner.com and look for the VCT delete kit/stuff. they should have everything needed to do delete it.

Thanks

I was looking through the site. Found an adapter to put a non vct gear on the exhuast side. so i would get a gear and that adapter. What else is involved/ will i have issues with the pcm wanting adjust VCT[performance/mpg decrease(hence the CEL that i will get)]?

Last edited:
Back