• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E ATF Cooler Pics

amarv12

CEG'er
Just for the hell of it, I had my bumper and bumper cover off recently for some repairs so I figured I would take some pics of my trans fluid cooler so others could get some mounting ideas.

I know, mounting it is quite easy, but i figured I'd post it up anyway.

I believe this is the model I got from Jegs (B&M 70268):

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_31954_-1

Don't remember for sure, the thing has been on my car for over a year.

Pics:

P1000243Large.jpg

P1000246Large.jpg

P1000244Large.jpg

P1000247Large.jpg

P1000251Large.jpg

The way that i mounted the cooler...on the left of the cooler, it attaches to the outlet of the stock unit. The return line from the stock unit had a hard line, then a soft section, then another hard section...i cut it in the soft section and attached the outlet from my external cooler into that pipe with a brass fitting.

Pretty good!
You might want to replace chicken wires holding the cooler line to the chasis with soemthing like a zip tie or in time they wire will cut the trans line.

Heh, the chicken wire...ya, when i installed this thing at 3AM one morning, i grabbed what i had nearby...it's snug and hadn't worn anything, but if i tear that stuff apart i'll replace it.

Heh, the chicken wire...ya, when i installed this thing at 3AM one morning, i grabbed what i had nearby...it's snug and hadn't worn anything, but if i tear that stuff apart i'll replace it.

It's you rcar but trust me, in time (might take years) it will slowly cut the line. I've seen it myself. When's the next time you'll have the bumper off to check this? Maybe never, right? If you don't have zip ties then use something else, anything but a steel wire. If that line gets gut, all you efforts to extend the life of the trans (the trans cooler) wont matter one bit.

Old thread......

Just wanted to say that the cooler pictured looks strikingly like a first gen (91-94) Ford Explorer cooler. I think the Explorer unit may be larger, however.

Might be something to look into the next time someone goes to the junkyard. hmmmmm......

Back