• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Recontent heated mirrors and lit handles

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
I haven't seen anyone try this on CEG. Their has been discussion that early 98's might have the provisions and just need the mirrors. From what I can tell all 98+ can do this.

Things you will need...

1. Heated mirrors from a pre98
2. Door wiring harness from a pre98
3. Inner door handle from a pre98
4. Driver side window switch from a pre98

It's pretty much plug and play.

Roll driver window up all the way
Remove inner door cover
Unplug door wiring harness
standard.jpg

Heated mirror part of the harness has 5 pins.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nonheated will have 3 pins.
standard.jpg

Pre98 mirror as you can see has a heating element. You'll need to take the mirror on your post98 off. You will need 3 different torx bits to completely disassemble. When the mirror is off then undo the 2 torx on the bottom on the mirror. This will give you enough room to get you fingers between the mirror and the cover. Will your handle just pull the mirror off. It feels the threads pull out. This is normal. Then done take the insides of your heated mirror and but them inside the one of your car. The only thing you'll reuse is the painted cover.
standard.jpg

When that is done reattach the mirror to the door. When you're done reattach the pre98 inner wiring harness. Don't put the door cover on yet. You'll need to disconnect the post98 inner handle and reinstall the pre98. The pre98 has a clear cover so that the light can shine in the handle.
standard.jpg

Also test to see if everything is working. Put key in ignition and make sure your bulb is on. If it is then plug it into the inner door handle.
standard.jpg

You'll also need a pre98 switch as the door wiring harness has a different connector for the window switch. If you have the puffy kind of switch and you like the buttons then grab a flat head and pop off the buttons and put them on the pre98 switch.

Post 98 on left and pre98 on right.
standard.jpg

Put the inner door trim on and grab a beer. Don't drink too much because you'll need to take the car for a spin at dusk to marvel in your lit door handles. I'll have to wait until Fall to enjoy my heated mirrors. I put the back of my hand on my mirror and they are indeed warm!!!! :cool:

Several things here:
First I am working on this too, as part of a larger application, and have found several issues..... what's that about great minds working on the same channel LOL!

BTW those 98 master window switch connectors you show are ONLY early 98 (bubble buttons), 98.5 and on have similar connectors to the pre 98 one you show.

One thing to check FIRST is IF pin #12 (small #'s on the face) is in the body side of the door connector that is the power for the heated mirrors that comes from the defrost switch. If you don't have it go directly to the adult beverage part...:laugh: and forget about it........ unless UR completely over the edge that is.... like me LOL

The two additional wires can be removed from the donor harness connectors, and added to the 98 harness. One is pin #12 purple / orange on the door harness to the mirror connector. The other is a ground that splices to the wire from pin #2 in the door harness and goes to the mirror connector.

99 harnesses and I presume 00, have the button lights on all of the time not just with the parking / headlights. There are several changes as to how things are fed for them, could be a problem if you try to just plug n play.

The door pocket light will work with the 98 connector it just gets spliced into a black ground (of similar gauge) and the light wire for the button in the lock switch connector. That way you can retain the two stage bubble buttons if you like.

Glad yours worked the easy way.

My 2 cents,
AF

Last edited:
Correct in that my door lights are on all the time. Kind of sucky since the life will be shortened but from my search today bulb 2721 is the same as the OEM. I'm just trying to find green ones or bulb covers which is near impossile. A 74 might work there even though it's a little bigger.

Parts-express.com has green bulb covers. I don't recall the size needed. Ten to a pack IIRC. The only place I have found the green bulbs is at the JY, and there the usable rate is about 1 out of 5, if that.

I have figured out a way to have the pocket lights on only with the head lights. instead of powering the orange/blue from pin #10 in the door connector. Add a pin to each side of the door/ body connectors in one of the unused spots #16, or 17 (or just run a wire through the grommets) and connect it to the blue/red (99), or white red (95) wire from the dimmer switch. In any event the orange/ white(?) is the power to the dimmer. This will not only turn them on with the instrument lighting, but also dim them.

Other things in the works :cool:

Regards,
AF

Last edited:
Correct in that my door lights are on all the time. Kind of sucky since the life will be shortened but from my search today bulb 2721 is the same as the OEM. I'm just trying to find green ones or bulb covers which is near impossile. A 74 might work there even though it's a little bigger.

Fyi: I tried one the other night and it didn't fit in the socket.
AF

Good to know. The 2721's do fit with the bulb covers on. Glad I didn't go through all that for nothing.

Back