• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ok, so i pulled the O2 sensor...

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
i pulled it out and kicked the gass and i hit 60 in about 8 seconds, so i'm guessing the cat is the problem... so how do i go about replacing that with the way the cats are on the 95 Zetecs???

well you have 2 options. first is replace it with a factory Cat. that requires you unbolt the cat from the manifold (4 bolts 13mm IIRC), unbolt the 2-bolt flange mid-way back the exhaust and unbolt the strap around the Cat. then you can lower the Cat and replace with a new one. the other option is take the cat off, turn it upside down and punch out all the material thats in it then reinstall the old hollowed out cat. you will have to get/build an MIL eliminator for the downstream O2 after that though and if you have emissions testing you wont pass the sniffer test.

95 only has the upstream sensor so no mil-eliminator needed .... and since it is OBD1 chences are they will still only complete a sniff test on the car.

it may or may not be a problem, my car with near 200k has always passed emisions with very low levels, even in the midle of Feb ...

i punched it out, but i couldnt get the cat to bolt on again w/ all 4 bolts, so only 2 are holding it on now and damn is it lound and FAST!!!!

This isn't a how-to. I do hope you fixed your problem, but in the interest of keeping things organized so people can quickly and easily find the information they are looking for, this kind of thing needs to go in the correct section of the forum.

a question on how to do something dosn't belong in the how too forum. That seems strange to me.

yea me too... but anyways, this is long over, i have it all fixed so we can just forget about this topic for now

Back