• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

turn signal question

icysvt

Addicted CEG'er
I had a brake light go out on me. I went ahead and replaced both bulbs with the led ones and went ahead and bought amber led 194 replacements for my sidemarkers. Now to the problem. When I turn on my blinker it blinks really fast. all of the bulbs are working and flashig just at warp speed, the way it acts when you have a bulb out but i dont have any out now. Wierd thing is when I hit my hazard lights it all blinks nicely at the "normal" rate. Any ideas:confused:

Fast flashing is a function of low resistance. If a bulb on one side (left or right) burns out, the total resistance drops and the remaining bulb flashes faster as a signal.

since LEDs have very little resistance, even if they are ALL working, the system thinks you must have burnt out bulbs and thus is able to pulse faster.

I have this same problem because i have LED tails, but I never worried about it since it seems to get peoples attention more than when it blinked normally:shrug: Is there a problem with leaving it like that? Its been about 2 months now

I see this all the time with the riced out Honda's and their Altezza tails...You can probably pick up your own resistors and connect them in line with the signal wire. Just check the appropriate resistance you need...I'm not sure what you would need though, because electric light sources cause the current to not follow Omh's Law. I would say maybe compare voltage and current in both setups, applying Omh's Law anyways? :shrug:

Back