• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine blown???

adam42481

CEG'er
ok, here the deal, my 1997 contour with a 2.0l had its timing belt slip or break a few months ago. before it let go the belt was getting very loose and actually was slapping the top of the plastic timming cover. i have had it at 2 shops and still no luck. the first shop replaced the belt said he had it in time and then sat on it for about 3 months. after getting fet up with it i had it towed to another shop because i suspected it not to be in time and they did say it was out of time and the got it in time and still nothing. he said that the cyclinders had about 50 psi. and he said the valve are bent. i had the car towed back home after he quoted me $1890 for an engine replacement. so now after about $300 the car now sits at my house in the yard. they left the almost everything off of the motor, so that i can actually see the cam shafts and timming gears. i could post pics of the engine and timing marks if that would help. thanks.

It WOULD help, because most people here feel that your engine isn't blown. Take pics with your valve cover off, and the timing components exposed. In addition, take off the right front wheel and snap a pic from that angle as well...

as i stated in the other thread. do a cylinder leak down test. you do one cylinder at a time. set the cylinder at TDC For That Cylinder. screw the adapter hose into the spark plug hole. attach an air compressor hose to the testor. find where the air is leaking from. head gasket you will either get air coming out of another cylinder or air bubbles in the coolant resevoir. valves it will come out either the intake or exhaust manifolds. rings you will hear it coming out the oil fill neck.

how torn down is the engine?

pretty much everything is off the head, except the intake manifold and exhaust, the engine is very exposed. i forgot to mention that i stuck my fingering in the intake throttle and there was grease in it. also when the engine went no white smoke came out the exhaust yes heated up a little then quit.

bent valves? how did they know? did they actually remove the springs, lifters, and the valves? i doubt it. that's a shot in the dark.
also, you say the cylinders had 50 psi. if they all had around 50 psi, that's very low, but that's actually possibly a very good sign. see, if you have a warped or cracked head, or a blown head gasket, you cylinders would have very uneven pressure, and probably much lower pressure than that. no, it sounds a lot to me like your problem is your timing belt, or one of the pulleys it goes on.

the first shop probably did get it in time, but the belt just slipped as the crank started pulling it, and i'd bet my left nut they didn't pull the cover off and check the timing all over again. same thing with the next shop. someone please review my recommendation, but i'd say: do that leakdown test if you can, then get your valve cover back on, get new pulleys for the timing belt, a new timing belt, and inspect your cam and crank sprockets to make sure they won't slip. $10 says that'll solve your problem.

($10 bet void in all US states ;) )

[edit] just saw your last post. no smoke out the tail pipe means 99% no blown engine. assuming of course your block isn't completely dry, that is!

index.cfm

go to photobucket.com and create an account. they are free. then upload your pics there. then you can copy the image tag for each picture and past it into a reply here.

Is the belt tight? I know when we resecured the timing belt after replacing my water pump, the timing belt was one notch off because it wasn't tightened enough. We made sure it was tightened to verify that it was placed correctly. And is your camshaft positioning tool thick enough? I know during my fix there was just a liiiiiitle bit of play, just enough to cause enough rotation for the belt to be off a notch. This was resolved by sticking in some random metal brackets (like you would use on your deck or something, LOL) between the existing "camshaft positioning tool" and the slots it fits in...

yeah the belt is pretty tight. i was reading last night about the sequence for timing belt replacement and i noticed that someone said that the timing tool was nessary if you dont remove the valve cover. why is that. if i do need one were could i pick on up

What do you mean by timing tool? Are you referring to the camshaft positioning tool? :shrug: Because this requires the removal of the valve cover...And I'm out of answers, I have already splurged my limited knowledge of the timing of our engines.

Back