• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Calling SleeperZ...

KerryKool

Hard-core CEG'er
Well its been a few weeks now since any update on the CTA intake and I kinda want to the mod the intake.

So I got a few questions about the intake mod from old forums (Here: http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...033989&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1)

First off I found a reducing 90 silicone bend here: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/verociousmotorsports/Items/srell-2753004-906-bl. Now it is expensive but is it worth it? I know Chris from CTA is just using a 3" 90 bend for his intake, which will be cheaper but how effective will it be with no reducer ring? Or should I stick to the original SleeperZ intake (with only a 2.75" bend)?

Also, how would you fit the IAT into the pipe? This has more to do with the early Zetecs, but could you explain how to do this in more detail.

I plan on keeping the airbox because I already have the K&N filter, but don't really want to keep the plenum. How will that affect performance?

Thats all I can think of right now. Feel free to add to this list of questions to anyone else wanting to do this mod.

Edit: Was looking for hose clamps and came across these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270094498838&fromMakeTrack=true and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tbol...160092219964QQihZ006QQitemZ160092219964QQrdZ1

Edit #2: After another search I found a cheaper and better 90 bend reducer: http://www.stealthwork.com/reinforced-90-degree-silicone-elbow-p-307.html. I'll continue to look for cheaper alternatives.

Thanks a bunch!:cool:

Last edited:
I custom did mine. it was pretty much the same all the way to the filter box then instead of the filter boxI installed a down pipe that goes to the right of engine but under the battery and sits above the transaxle. the filter is now located behind the lower frame peice that the radiator sits on about 4 1/2" behind it. the filter is a circular framed filter made by APC. it's not CARB approved but it's not required where I'm at. I'm gonna take pics and post within the next couple of days.

I custom did mine. it was pretty much the same all the way to the filter box then instead of the filter boxI installed a down pipe that goes to the right of engine but under the battery and sits above the transaxle. the filter is now located behind the lower frame peice that the radiator sits on about 4 1/2" behind it. the filter is a circular framed filter made by APC. it's not CARB approved but it's not required where I'm at. I'm gonna take pics and post within the next couple of days.

Lots of customization there. Looking forward to the pics.:cool:

here are some pics of the intake, the engine bay is kind of dirty from the engine fire, so don't mind that but the intake setup works really good and I like it.

Attachments

• intake1.jpg
    intake1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
  • intake2.jpg
    intake2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
  • intake3.jpg
    intake3.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 0
  • intake4.jpg
    intake4.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
Not bad. I bet that think sounds awesome. If I had money to spare, I'd probably do something along those lines. But my budget is pretty tight so I'll probably stick to something simple but effective.

actually it's not that bad. $40 for the 2 tube sections, the stock MAF sensor and the other sensor that sits right by it remained stock, rubber 90 deg elbow from autozone 7 and change, and the heat shielded pipe sleeves on both sides of the MAF sensor I think were about $3 together from home depot, and the filter which is non-oiled and washable by hose water was like $20 dollars I think. so for the whole thing it was about 70 dollars and I actually like the APC better than the K&N that I had on there before with the same setup.

My bad you mean a place to insert it into the intake. I'm a retard, the only thing I did was get the thread and shaft diameter and got a 1/4" long pipe that would accept the sensor and threaded it into it. then I took the sensor out and drilled a hole in a place that was around the same distance away from the stock setup, I then double bubbled the 1/4" piece to the hole that I drilled then after it dried I put the sensor back on. It's been like that for about 4 1/2 years now and still holding up like new.

I'm guessing SleeperZ is on vacation. :shrug:

I'm looking for the reducing 90 bends because that will make the intake mainly a 3" pipe resulting in more airflow. I may just do this and post my results afterwards if SleeperZ (or anyone for that matter) doesn't answer some of my questions in the first post.

Maybe I'll give him a PM....

3" piping is what is used in the intake that I have and it has a 94 degree bend and an 80 degree bend. I also got one of those tornado inserts that I placed 1" before the 94 degree bend on top of the throttle body. It x'd out any performance lose that I got from the top bend and worked great. This intake takes the cooler air from under the car avoiding warmer body panels. If you want an item list I can have one for you by next friday. You can use this to make one to your custom desires or make an exact replica. anyways if you want it I'll have it ready by friday next week and post it in performance section under zetec area. just got released from work so I'll talk to you later.

Kerry,

I am really hoping to have an intake on my Zetec by the Florida meet. I would like to bring both it and the SVT. CTA is taking too long. I am open to ideas, but like you, I am on a tight budget.

PM me and we can exchange phone numbers and discuss some ideas.

Same here, I would like to have the intake done before the meet (or even at the meet :cool:.)

I'm going ahead and doing it. I may post pics, but I kinda want to save the pics till the meet, so I can get that "Oooooo, ahhhhhh..." reaction.:laugh:

Plus I'm doing a few other things in the engine bay that I want to keep secret till the meet also.

Brent, if you plan on doing the intake also, get in touch w/ me through PMs to exchange info/ideas.

if you're looking for 3" piping this should be enough for a project like the one you guys are looking to do. for just over $30 dollars for the piping, all you'd need is the pipe clamps and elbows which shouldn't be that expensive. I think this would really help you guys to stay in a tight budget, all depending on how tight of a budget you're looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-x-3ft-POLISHE...100257348QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are they all the same or is that a mass used pic, I'd find out because the items shown may not be exactly what you get. know what I mean. But then if it does come like that I think I'm gonna redo my intake, because all my piping came dull and isn't asthetically pleasing to the eye. Ithink that would look a lot better.

Are they all the same or is that a mass used pic, I'd find out because the items shown may not be exactly what you get. know what I mean. But then if it does come like that I think I'm gonna redo my intake, because all my piping came dull and isn't asthetically pleasing to the eye. Ithink that would look a lot better.

Package Details:
Mandrel-bent Aluminum Polished 3" pipes
2 Pieces - 90 Degrees Mandrel-bent Pipes
2 Pieces - 75 Degrees Mandrel-bent Pipes
2 Pieces - 45 Degrees Mandrel-bent Pipes
2 Pieces - Straight Mandrel-bent Pipes
8 Pieces - Racing Blue Straight Couplers
2 Pieces - Racing Blue 90 Degree Elbows Couplers
16 Pieces - Clamps

Brent - if Kerry doesn't want to split it with you, I will.

hey what do ya know all I had to do was have a little attention to detail and I would have answered my own question. I feel like a big pile of dumby.lol Thanks for the info though.

Package Details:
Mandrel-bent Aluminum Polished 3" pipes
2 Pieces - 90 Degrees Mandrel-bent Pipes
2 Pieces - 75 Degrees Mandrel-bent Pipes
2 Pieces - 45 Degrees Mandrel-bent Pipes
2 Pieces - Straight Mandrel-bent Pipes
8 Pieces - Racing Blue Straight Couplers
2 Pieces - Racing Blue 90 Degree Elbows Couplers
16 Pieces - Clamps

Brent - if Kerry doesn't want to split it with you, I will.

Do it! I already bought the couplers I need and I'm going to a local exhaust shop for the piping and clamps.

The only problem you might face will be on the TB. It shouldn't be a problem getting it on, just to secure it you'll have to hope for silicone that is plyable enough. Thats why I found a reducing 90 coupler to fit on the TB nice and snug w/ little play.

Other than that, measuring and cutting the pipe, and fitting the pieces, making an intake from that kit shouldn't be that hard.

Back