• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blower For Air And Heater Not Working

snappydwp1

New CEG'er
I'm trying to find out why my brother inlaw's 99 Contour's air conditioning fan won't work. I've searched some of the other threads on the subject and can say that there was no smokey smell before it stopped working...there are no melted wires found behind the glove box connecting to the blower....and the switch worked on all speed settings before it just would'nt work this morning.
I found an online owner's manual and it seems that the fuse or relay, R14, that controls power to the blower is in the inside fuse box under the dash on the driver's side, but damn if I can figure out how to open it. It seems to be hinged at the back toward the firewall.:help:
The car is a 1999 Contour 2.0 4cyl.

Last edited:
There is a lever/button you pull/push and the fuse box will flip down. I will post a thread with a picture later.

And here is that hard to find release button of the under dash fuse box.
fuseboxA.jpg

I found that #37 fuse, 30 amp, was fine. Then when I closed the fuse box back and checked the fan switch... it works....on high speed only. So I'm leaning on replacing the fan switch now.

I found that #37 fuse, 30 amp, was fine. Then when I closed the fuse box back and checked the fan switch... it works....on high speed only. So I'm leaning on replacing the fan switch now.

I had the exact same thing happen to my car. It was in the middle of winter and about 0 degrees. What I found was on the back of the fuse block there are quick disconnect plugs for the wiring. One of the terminals for the heater blower circuit was loose and starting to burn. I ended up pulling the block out and soldering a wire(of the appropriate size) directly to the terminal and then using a wire nut to connect it to the harness in the car.

Fix it now when the weather isn't bad.

not if the blower works on high

not if the blower works on high

If the blower works only on high it is good and most likely it is the resistor pack as stated earlier. The switch or its wiring could be the problem but most likely it is the resistor pack

If the blower works only on high it is good and most likely it is the resistor pack as stated earlier. The switch or its wiring could be the problem but most likely it is the resistor pack

Ahh, I missed that part! I still think He might have the wiring problem too, due to the fact that it started working (sort of) after lowering and raising the fuse box. Which would indicated loose/burnt connections.

Back