• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

headlight bulbs

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
well im going out tomarrow shopping for school stuff and i figured i could get new bulbs. i want the brightest i can get closest to HID and very white light. whats the best to get and what are the part#s for low beams high beams and fog lights?

check your owners manual yet for the numbers :shrug:

9005 and 9006 - low and high beams, I forget which is which
893 are the fogs

silverstars would be your best bet imho ....

like BrApple said, if you dont want to just spnd the money on a set of HIDs then the silverstars are gonna be the best that you can get.

9006 is the low beam
9005 is the high beam
893 are the factory fogs
if you have aftermarket fogs instead most are an H3 but you should confirm what it takes first.

IMO: Toshiba HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflecting) 9011's (same as 9005's). I had SilverStars in before them, but there is no comparison in terms of real light output. Sure the SS's look more "white" because they're coated, but the light output compared to the HIR's isn't nearly as good. They're a bit pricey at $25/bulb and only available via one vendor that I know of, but well worth it IMO. My low beams are now nearly as bright as my high beams (which are just regular Sylvania 9005's for now). They're not as "white" as SS's so if you just want the look of HID's then there are better options. But if you want actual good light output then the HIR bulbs are the way to go IMO.

http://hirheadlights.com/

He sells via eBay too which is how I bought them so if just do a search for "HIR bulbs" and he'll pop up. Super quick shipping too.

You can also put 9005 (high beam) bulbs in your low beam socket by doing a quick and easy mod to the bulb themselves. This has been covered numerous times and I believe is listed in the sticky at the top of this forum. So if you choose to do that then just do a quick search and you'll find it pretty easy. Really easy mod and even for regular ol' 9005 bulbs it's well worth it.

However, still nothing as bright as a decent quality HID kit, but that'll cost ya a lot more. But if you can swing it go for it. ;)

Just my $.02

Last edited:
quick ebay search results in this. i even said only up to $100. there is over 9 pages of kits all (cant gaurantee as i didnt look through all 9 pages) of which you can get a 9006 based bulb.

now would i personally put those kits on my car? no, i will only put either pilot or phillips kits on my car but cheap ones do exist.

now finding one with a D2R bulb is deffinatly harder but im sure it can be done

you can also buy a kit with regular D2S bulbs and "upgrade" to the D2R' later

Last edited:
Back