• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

coolant level sensor

manufan

New CEG'er
A bit new to posting, so don't hesitate to correct me. 98 Contour LX V-6 2.5l. Just purchased the car and have been correcting the problems. Current problem: coolant level warning on the dash. Plently of coolant in the res. Is there a float in the tank that activates the sensor? Thanks

Does it stay on constantly or does it turn off after you drive it for a while? My coolant light used to come on when I would first start the car and would go away after I began driving. Turned out, since I parked on an incline the the sensors indicated my coolant was low.

A bit new to posting, so don't hesitate to correct me. 98 Contour LX V-6 2.5l. Just purchased the car and have been correcting the problems. Current problem: coolant level warning on the dash. Plently of coolant in the res. Is there a float in the tank that activates the sensor? Thanks
Welcome :) . Yes, there is a float in the coolant reservoir. The post above has the link to the issue. Always put half inch above the max line with 50/50 coolant mixture.

In addition, engine oil should be half quart above the max line on the dipstick to alleviate the oil starvation issue due to long sweeping right hand turns.

Thanks for the help. I bought this car to fix and sell. Put in an alternator, had the front springs replaced under recall and replaced the IAC valve. Now, I'm beginning to like the car and may well keep it.

Thanks for the help. I bought this car to fix and sell. Put in an alternator, had the front springs replaced under recall and replaced the IAC valve. Now, I'm beginning to like the car and may well keep it.
Two thumbs up. :cool: Very happy for you and once again, welcome to the club. :)

Coolant level follow-up

Coolant level follow-up

I added coolant to a level above the max-line. Light stayed on. Changed out the tank with one from wrecking yard. Light went out. Seems that the float in my original tank, no longer floated.

Back