+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Temp tags. Buying a car out of state

Default Temp tags. Buying a car out of state

How and what do I need to do if I buy a car from someone out of state and I plan on driving it home? Go to the DMV to get temp tags? Thanks -Stu
    Current Ride:
    2000 Black/Tan
    #1400 3,100 miles and counting

Previous Owner of:
    1998 Black/MNB

the dealer will issue you a temp tag. they will also only charge you the local tax of that state. when you go back to your state you will have to pay local, and county tax, which is usually any where from 3-4%.

if its a private sale, you have three choices.

some states, the tag stays with the vehicle, regardless, so you will be purchasing the TAG, per se, you will drive home on it, and you will then go to your state's DMV and get your own tag concurrent with your state's laws.

you will go to your state's DMV and get temp tags before the trip

lastly, you will drive home with no tags at all, armed with the bill of sale, AND the title signed to your name, and CURRENT INSURANCE ON THE CAR with proof available in the car before you leave the "other state". those three things should get you out of any ticket you would normally get.
    .99 Silverfrost
    Call me for free, if you need any help or anything.
    |_|0|_|
    |_|_|0|
    |0|0|0|

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    you will go to your state's DMV and get temp tags before the trip

depends entirely on the state. Most states will not issue temp tags for cars coming into the state. NY for example, will give you an "in transit" tag to drive around inside NY State, but not for leaving the state. You need to get a tag from the state you're buying the car in to drive it into NY. In my experience dealers WILL NOT issue you a temp tag unless you buy a car from them.

I had to go to either a title transfer place, or a local DMV in PA when i picked up my car and they issued me a temp tag that i could drive into NY with.

So, the answer to the OP's question is to contact your local DMV and see what you need to do...and then if you need to go to the DMV in the state you're buying the car, contact them ahead of time to see what the procedure is as well. It's the only way to guarantee you're not gonna have any issues...

Also, I didn't have to pay the tax in PA...just the title transfer/temp tag fee of $50.
    Last edited by TGO; 08-02-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760
    SOLD! and now RIP
    2001 Z06 - Quicksilver Metallic - 406RWHP
    1995 Impala SS - Black - Bunch of Lingenfelter stuff

When I lived in Chicago I drove to Ohio to pick up a 95 SE. I just drove the car back on the Ohio tags, went to the DMV with the title and got new tags.
    1998 Contour SVT Full 3L - Sold-
    2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT

again it depends on the state. you can't "unregister" a car in NY unless you surrender the plates. which means you can't drop insurance or anything until you get the little slip from the DMV stating that you turned in the plates. Provided you trust the person buying the car driving around on your registration and insurance though, i guess it would be ok.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to contact both the DMV in your state and the state you're buying your car in to avoid potential problems.
    SOLD! and now RIP

Echoing TGO: It completely depends on the state. MA does not issue temp tags, nor will they recognize them from other states if you are pulled over with temp tags. You can have your car impounded for not having a "valid" registration nor insurance. All of the surrounding states have to note our peculiarities in their DMV websites.

Call your local DMV for the answer, or check their website.
    Matthew
    1999 Contour SVT #410 - 109k
    2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5MT - 130k
    Sold: 98.5 Contour SE V6 ATX

how the hell are you supposed to buy a car from outside MA?? that's ridiculous! getting insurance for the car isn't an issue, so what's their beef?
    SOLD! and now RIP

I always thought the answer was "just ship it" .. but you provoked me to look it up further.
    http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21426.pdf

Apparently Massachusetts has a "seven day law" where you can legally transfer the plates from your current car to your new one. According to this document, if you travel out of state (e.g. bringing the car home) other states will honor that it is considered legal registration in Massachusetts. Just bring a copy of the law and all documents in case you get stopped.

Now why this "valid registration" bit doesn't seem to apply in Massachusetts against other states (e.g. temp tags would count as a valid temporary registration in the state it was issued, so MA should recognize it as being legal) is beyond me.

But if you are buying a car and don't already have a registration that you were planning to transfer, you're SOL.
    Matthew
    1999 Contour SVT #410 - 109k
    2008 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5MT - 130k
    Sold: 98.5 Contour SE V6 ATX

Iowa has a 15 day grace period... all you need is a signed title (and insurance, of course) during that time.

HOWEVER, Illinois requires some sort of temp plate. I got stopped once for not having plates on my car... took the cops 45 minutes to contact Iowa police and figure out what they were going to do. Eventually, the Illinois cop's supervisor told him to tell me to go back to Iowa.

When I first got my SVT, I had temp tags in my rear window... drove from Montana to Iowa (including some Illinois driving) back to Montana with no issues.
    \m/ 2009 Jetta TDI \m/ 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V \m/

+ Reply to Thread