• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog Light Mod Version 2.0

I did the fog light mod about 3 years ago. I love it. I dont see a reason to have the fogs go off with the brights, i have never had an issue.

What is the reason you do not want the fogs on with brights?

more than 4 forward facing lights is illegal in most(all???) states.

fogs plus highs plus lows is 6.

I don't know... I just like the factory style that they shut off when the high beams are on.... not to mention what ray said, in Wisconsin I know it's illegal... That's something I don't need attracting police when I'm coming home from the bar...

I don't know... I just like the factory style that they shut off when the high beams are on.... not to mention what ray said, in Wisconsin I know it's illegal... That's something I don't need attracting police when I'm coming home from the bar...

Ya, I remember reading the 4 forward facing light law on CEG when i did that mod.
But then I thought about it, you won’t have your brights on if a car is close enough to count the number of lights on.
I agree anything to make sure you don’t attract attention on the way home from the bar is a good idea.
Great job figuring out how to retain the stock functionality while incorporating the mod.

*the reason i asked in the first place was to try to stir up conversation since no one really responded to your two threads.

Last edited:
Ya, I remember reading the 4 forward facing light law on CEG when i did that mod.
But then I thought about it, you won’t have your brights on if a car is close enough to count the number of lights on.
I agree anything to make sure you don’t attract attention on the way home from the bar is a good idea.
Great job figuring out how to retain the stock functionality while incorporating the mod.

*the reason i asked in the first place was to try to stir up conversation since no one really responded to your two threads.

lol, well thanks for the effort, seems not too many are interested, which is fine, I enjoy writing detailed how-to's when they have to do with the ford contour either way. I have a disassembled blinker/high beam switch sitting in my box at work, that is my next thing to do. I'd like to see if I can do the fog light mod with that, so that it remains completely factory, and still turns on when the headlights are not on.

I'll probably do this mod to my CSVT after I put it on the road. I like that it shuts off automatically when you flip the brights on. I'm usually too lazy to just turn them off when I flip on the brights. This is nice because it still retains stock functionality, or at least how it should have been wired from the factory!

It seems like Ford got the picture because my parents' 05 focus has it wired so you can run the fogs/parking lights... They should've learned sooner!

that is interesting... maybe im just blind but i did the foglight fix years ago and didnt see that it was 4 forward lights. i used to have 8 forward facing lights at one point... Damn yellow haze on headlights... but took the extra set off when i got in a wreck...damn tow company messed em up... def will investigate 2.0

I got the switches apart, I just have been too lazy to go and figure out which is what on the switches....

bla your making it way more complicated than it is

Just do the foglight mod. Then get a relay

Ground 85
Power from highbeam 86
Then cut the power to the foglights and run one into 30 and the other into 87A

Then it will work all the time until you flash or turn on the highbeams then fogs will shut off

if you have to tear apart switches and stuff the relay is prob a better option for most people.

if you have to tear apart switches and stuff the relay is prob a better option for most people.

I totally agree with you there... simpler is better, I like to try and digg just a tad deeper for myself to see if there is a way to reverse engineer the factory blinker setup so you don't have to add extra wiring and cut into wires.... just a side project for myself...

I don't know of anyone else that is like that :rolleyes:

HAHAHA

Let me know what you come up with.

Last edited:
Can anyone send me these instructions? I can't access the site. My car doesn't have stock fogs, but I ordered a set, and will be trying something with my '96 Mystique. :D

I'll see what I can do, I have been having problems with my site lately, idk why... I'll try to get it resolved...

Edit:
Yeah... I guess I changed my password on the site, but failed to do so on the application that was suppose to be updating my IP, so it should be all good..... Let me know if you have any problems!

Last edited:
Got it this time! Thanks for getting it fixed quickly!

I tired fixing it the day before because I use it to remote in as well, and It wasn't working so I was trying to get it to work the other day... anywho though... it's fixed so enjoy...

I just read over the whole thing, a few times. I am getting very confused, on to a certain part of the instructions. Were you began to talk about pulling the power source from the parking lights, and were hooking up the fuse holder/power wire. I was wondering if the power wire you are running is suppose to go to the fogs? Probably a simple answer, but I don't want to screw up too much.

I just read over the whole thing, a few times. I am getting very confused, on to a certain part of the instructions. Were you began to talk about pulling the power source from the parking lights, and were hooking up the fuse holder/power wire. I was wondering if the power wire you are running is suppose to go to the fogs? Probably a simple answer, but I don't want to screw up too much.

I gotta go to work so I don't have time to look at it but I'll get you a reply sometime tonight about your question...

Back