• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

not running right...

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I've noticed that w/ a Zetec, around 4000 RPM it starts to accelerate much faster, well lately, it hasnt been, and when the engine is cold, and i shift at 4,000 RPM, it bogs out and if its still bogging when i come to a stop, it sometimes dies. Any ideas? the car only has 80,125 original miles on it and the timing belt has been replaced once so far...

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? And see if it improves when you remove the upper O2 sensor. If it does improves, your catalytic converter is clogged. Don't leave it out for too long. You don't want the hot air to melt nearby plastic and rubber tubes.

i may just have to try that. The car was running ok when i got it and now it doesnt have much power after 4500 RPM in any gears.

Go change your plugs, wires, fuel filter, and air filter. If the problem persists, we'll go from there.

atleast change the fuel filter, check the air filter and plugs, you can usually tell if they're bad without replacing them, and maybe finally change the wires, since they're kinda expensive.

I've seen this exact problem come from bad wires, and they looked just fine. They even had the proper amount of resistance. Change the wires, it's not worth assuming they're good and replacing more expensive parts, only to find it was something simple.

I've seen this exact problem come from bad wires, and they looked just fine. They even had the proper amount of resistance. Change the wires, it's not worth assuming they're good and replacing more expensive parts, only to find it was something simple.

right, but wires can easily be $40-$60, while everything else we mentioned is cheaper.

hmm, i'm low on ideas, other than check air filter, and maybe check cylinder compression, that's probably not it, though. this is where i tune out of the conversation, other than to listen!

Back