• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pulling dash...how to?

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
I'm in the final stages of gutting my interior and I'm curious if anyone has any info on pulling the dash, i need to get to the heater core and AC parts inside the cabin to remove them as well as the dash wiring harness to remove what isn't needed any linger from the main harness to shave a couple pounds.

~Josh

i don't remember exactly how but when i pulled a couple of dashes to fix the dash warp, it was just a matter of pulling screws until it came out.

I'd leave the harness. Too much work. It think I just pulled all the screws I could see. Didn't even look at a manual. Takes about an hour or 2 your first time pulling. Quicker every time. It's not as bad as I thought.

I'd leave the harness. Too much work. It think I just pulled all the screws I could see. Didn't even look at a manual. Takes about an hour or 2 your first time pulling. Quicker every time. It's not as bad as I thought.

The only reason I'm considering pulling the harness is that 75% of the interior wiring will now be unused...I might build a new harness all together to keep things nice and simple as far as the car's wiring system is concerned. The engine bay has already been liberated of most of it's now unnecessary wiring, looks super clean. :cool:

I guess I'll just dive into it tonight and see where i end up after a couple hours, thanks guys.

~Josh

The main torx screws that hold the dash in are right next to the doors. There's little plastic covers that pop off. I think theres a few more underneath somewhere. To get it out you'll have to pull the wheel, turn signal/wiper stalks, all the plastic shrouds and covering, bezels, etc etc. Like Todras said just look around and unscrew everything. Personally I didn't find the dash harness too hard to pull once the dash was out.

Do not have to pull the wheel! It does make it a touch easier but no biggie. Just pull the tilt and lower the wheel as far as possible.

Do not have to pull the wheel! It does make it a touch easier but no biggie. Just pull the tilt and lower the wheel as far as possible.

No take off the steering wheel, your less likly to mess it up while its out of the car. It gives a lot of extra room and with the steering wheel out you don't have to drop the steering column.

Tool me two hours start to finish with a ford CD....easy as pie, really don't need the CD. I did end up pulling the wheel just to make it easier, it only took like 5 minutes to remove and did make it a ton easier.

~Josh

I agree after having pulled four of them.... removing the steering wheel while not strictly necessary makes it much easier and only takes a couple extra minutes since you still have to unbolt it anyway. Just makes sense to me.

Glad it all went smooth for you. What is it that you have done so you won't be using most of the wiring?

Regards,
AF

I'm building a track car from a salvage title CSVT i acquired some time ago. The car will basically have headlights, wipers, tail lights and the engine control system....most everything else can go.

you clearly didnt read his thread that he linked to. hes trying to build it with a total cost of $0.

Back