• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need a trans. ATX Zetec. What to look for?

93rev2sev

CEG'er
Hello Contour masters!

I recently bought a 95 Zetec ATX. The trans is toast. It needs replacement or rebuilding(no reverse, hard shifts, sometimes no first gear)

What should I look for in a replacement transmission? I can do the removal and reinstallation myself so I wont be looking for a shop.

Questions:
Are the Duratec and Zetec transmissions the same?
What years are interchagable with my 95?
Will the replacement transmission need to be calibrated at a shop?

Any other advice?

Thanks,
Tom

you can only use a zetec trans and because of OBD1 you will probably need to stay with a 95 trans but may be able to go with a 96 or 97 as well (although you may have to swap some sensors)

you can only use a zetec trans and because of OBD1 you will probably need to stay with a 95 trans but may be able to go with a 96 or 97 as well (although you may have to swap some sensors)

Are ALL 95 models the same? If not, is there a build date cutoff I need to be aware of?

Does anyone have part numbers for the sensors I will need to replace? I figure I'll replace all the sensors with new ones...not transfer them from the old transmission. I'd like to have that all lined up and ready to go when it's time for the swap.

Will the trans need to be calibrated before I drive it?

Back