• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flywheel dust shield not lining up.. Do I have to pull tranny again?

SVTake2

New CEG'er
When I first did my 3L swap I remember the dust shield not lining up perfectly, but it certainly didn't encroach on where the axle would be.

So its obviously tilted and the opening is lined up so that you can see the exposed back of the flywheel. The question is can get away with leaving it the way it is or do I have to separate the tranny from the engine again just to spin this sucker around?

If it has to be done then it has to be done, But if it is holy crap balls am I not looking forward to it.

I feel like an idiot on this one big time.

P2080011.jpg

P2080008.jpg

You should be fine. Also if for any reason it would not seal correctly, it looks like you used some sort of sealer on it (silicone?).

The thing I would be most concerned about is how close the dust plate gets to your half shaft. In the pic it looks close. Maybe you can take some material off if need be (be sure to plug off the open hole to the tranny so no debris will ge in there).

Did you notice it being off when you stock it on the back of the motor before you put the flywheel on?

Sorry, but my suggestion is to pull the trans, pop the clutch and flywheel off and flip it around to the right direction. While the piece isn't much of a true seal, it does keep large pieces of debris from coming in to the housing and also keeps all the clutch material from coming out and coating everything. Putting a line of silicone around the housing is not a solution to this problem. On top of that, you don't even need silicone on the flange so I'm not sure why it's there in those pictures.

Rick

Not to be a total dick but how on gods green earth do you not notice that? I could see forgetting to put it on which I ALMOST did once but backwards?

A friend and I manhandled the tranny into place and it was pretty heavy for the 2 of us on our backs. I lined up the dust shield up first but it must have shifted just as the tranny went on but the bolts still went trough. I knew it didn't fit perfectly to begin with and I was just so happy to finally get the tranny on I guess I didn't notice how out of whack it was.

Im sure I will only have to trim a little bit to get the axle to fit, and I was thinking I could copy the gap with piece of cardboard and cut a little piece of aluminum to cover the flywheel gap.

You're not getting it man! It isn't just not lined up, it's on freakin backwards.... You need to pull the motor and trans apart and put it in right.

Rick

You're not getting it man! It isn't just not lined up, it's on freakin backwards.... You need to pull the motor and trans apart and put it in right.

Rick

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to pull the trans again. :( Listen to Rick. :)

I am right in the middle of pulling the tranny off now. I just thought it was tilted out of whack I didn't notice it was backwards till you guys mentioned. I guess thats what happens when you're in a rush and it bit me in the ass good this time.

Back