• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Different Idler Pullies???

fun2b1

New CEG'er
I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out a few things...

1) are there TWO 4 cylinder engines for the contour one zetec and one non?

2)Since I have seen two different style engines (zetec = smaller idler under exhaust side, different position, different motor mount plate), why isn't it specified ?

3) does anyone know where I could find the part numbers that would apply to my particular situation( 98' Contour GL zetec Vin3 production date 05/97)

4) does ford sell the parts or is aftermarket the only way to go?

(BTW I HAVE tried the gates kit... that's when I realized that there were two different pullies.. then when reassembling using the old smaller idler we stripped a motor mount bolt.. hence the junk yard trip finding a new mount only to see that the donor engine had the bigger pully and different mounting position on the head... then upon getting back to the car we realized the donor mounting plate was a little different... being that the bigger pully was a little higher and the timing belt "separator" was thicker".. witha lil grinding it fits like a glove but still if the engines were the same why doesn't it fit????)

also if anyone can clue me into why there are two diferent cooling tanks that would be pretty cool too...

thanks in advance for anyone who could possibly help me

Last edited:
1) the contour only came with ONE 4cyl engine; the Zetec. There were two different styles of the Zetec, the pre 98's were silvertops and the 98+ (im asuming what you have) was a VCT engine (Variable Cam Timeing) but are both Zetec's.

2) again...refer to #1

3) email Bill Jenkins, or go to www.teamfordparts.com. you can also try aftermarket for some things.

4) refer to #3

HTH

Pulleys schmulleys

Pulleys schmulleys

Although there are different pulley diameters, it doesn't seem to matter much, But if it is important to you, make sure you find your date of manufacture on the door plate? and take that with you.

Good luck

Still no clear answer....

Still no clear answer....

car is 1998 contour GL (production date 05/97), atx, VCT 2.0L, Vin 3, w/ 130,000...I went with the gates timing kit for 98... which is how I first noticed the different pully sizes and mounting configurations.. the pully with the kit was larger than the one on our car (pully just under exhaust side camshaft, not the one directly above the crank gear)... the car at the junkyard we raped the engine mounting plate from was also a 98(checked door panel) with vct, but it had the pully that the gates kit would replace.. but in a different spot on the head... so I'm hoping there's more than one answer for this... or am I stuck with a misfit.. and thank you but I've already tried the drill down seach engines... to no avail....and in my particular case they do matter....

Last edited:
can you get a picture of what your timing belt an pulleys looks like. it sounds like yours is still the pre98 setup but i would need some pictures to verify it.

edit: if you cant i have a pre98 zetec on an engine stand at home i can take some pics and post them for you to compare to.

I have it all bolted up and back together with the old pully.. as you can guess it's still not sitting well with me... but it runs like a champ.. well when it runss.. I have another post with another stumping issue... but if you could possibly get pictures I could verify.... I'll be honest.. I've taken that thing apart more times than I'd like to count.... if I can avoid it.. I'd like to....sorry.. and thank you for any insight you could give.... oh and jsut to confirm.. it has vct white valve cover.. and jsut so noone thinks I have it messed up... I HAVE THE SOLENOID...lmao..

Back