• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shifter Cable?

The replacement cable is the one meant for 99 and newer. It is a full assembly including cable ends.

The 98 cable is no longer available, but the cable ends are. The cable ends are difficult to identify in the Ford catalog so many dealers will conclude that they are no longer available. They can be had from Bill Jenkins from Team Ford in Las Vegas.

Before you dive into replacing the cables, check it out to see if it is really broken. The 98 is more robust than the 99 and newer. It is more likely that you have either a worn bushing in the cable end at the trans end or you have a broken bolt in the shift tower inside the trans. Confirm the condition of the cables and cable ends before doing anything else.

Umm when does fluid condition come into play at lost gears. :troutslap:

I was thinking he couldn't shift into the gears.... I must have interpreted it wrong. I have had a few issues with previous cars not shifting into gears when all it took was new fluid. Its been about 5 years since that happened last but, it has happened.

Back