• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E stripped drain plug....

XKontour98

Hard-core CEG'er
So yesterday I changed the oil in my car and was going to do a quick drain and fill on the atx. I had a hell of a time getting the plug out and think that it is probably stripped, as I can't get it to go back in and seal. No matter what it is always dripping.

I have performed the drain and fill every 8-10K since I got the car with 30K on it. Last time I had a shop do it since it was below zero in the winter.

At any rate I need to figure something out so I can get back on the road. I ordered a new drain plug, but I have a feeling that may not solve the problem if the threads on the pan are shot.

Any suggestions if the new plug doesn't work out? Would a shop be able to retap the pan?

This trans has been nothing but problems this year!

Great! Thanks for the suggestion, someone mentioned that to me in a PM as well.

I will give that a shot. I have never used the tape before, do you cover all the treads or just part?

I was considering getting some of that red/pink trans gasket and putting that on the threads if the new plug didn't work, but I think the tape is a better idea!

I still need a new plug as the old one is starting to get deformed. Hopefully this will solve my problem!

Edit: Can you get the tape at Autozone?

Last edited:
You'd probably pay less for teflon tape at a hardware store than from an autoparts store. It should be in the plumbing section.

Ok that did not work. I ran to Home Depot after work and bought a roll of Teflon tape. I tried three times to get a seal with no success.

There has to be little if any ATF left in it, when I got back under the car the small drip from the drain plug had over filled the bucket I had put under it and when I removed the plug another few quarts poured out.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Why do I have the feeling a new trans is going to be in order.

Being that the tape didn't work and that the car is immobilized with out fluid. The suggestion of JB welding the plug back in has been brought to my attention and at this point sounds alot better than ripping out the trans. I could fill it up with Mobile 1 and prepare for a future ATX replacement.

Other than making sure I don't over-fill it, are there any other suggestions I should consider before welding it shut?

Ok the more I think about it the more I don't like the idea of JB welding it closed.

Maybe some High temp silicone or liquid gasket would be a better idea. Ideally I would like to find that redish trans sealer they use on the casing so I know it will hold up to the trans fluid and temps. ....

Edit: I went to AZ and picked up a gasket compund called "The Righ Stuff" which is suposed to be safe for ATF. I'm about to run out and give it a shot, hopefuly this will seal and hold.....:eek:

Last edited:
Drain plugs in my ATX trannies have a bead red putty kinda stuff around the threads. Sorta like putty, but harder & yet still pliable. That kind of stuff (threadlocker, sealant, or whatever it is) should solve your problem.

Drain plugs in my ATX trannies have a bead red putty kinda stuff around the threads. Sorta like putty, but harder & yet still pliable. That kind of stuff (threadlocker, sealant, or whatever it is) should solve your problem.

Thanks I put some of that gasket sealer on the threads and over the plug itself so hopefully it will hold......I am letting it sit at least 24 hours so it cures, even though it said you didn't need to.

Lost cause

Lost cause

So I went under the car to check things out and sure enough there was a drop of fluid on the drain plug, hanging from the gasket I covered it with.

I slid under the car to get a closer look and even worse than before I found a hair line crack running up the side from the plug. I am totally screwed now :mad: I didn't notice this before as it is on the back side of the trans.

I must have over tightened the plug and caused the crack or something in combination with a ****ty case (other case issues prior to this one).

I tried to JB weld over the crack, but with fluid slowly dripping out, I don't know how well it is going to bond. I am hoping this will make a good enough seal to put some fluid back in it and at least move the car to a better place (currently sitting in the center of the garage).

Here's a pic:

PICT0221.jpg

Last edited:
Back