• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Want to add a Tach to my ATX Zetec

ScubaCat

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Read a couple threads here about it and only ended up slightly less confused than before. What I took away from it was that: Try to get a tach'ed cluster from the same year and engine/tranny package as your car and that the Mystiques most all had tach'ed clusters and should work fine if from the same engine/tranny combo as the recipient car.

What is more critical? year of cluster, or drivetrain combo?

My car is a 99 Zetec ATX with a 5/99 build tag on the door jam. If anyone has a working cluster that would work for sale IM me and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,
Bryan

Def. find one with the same drivetrain combo, then look at years. I would assume that 96-98.5 are all compatible for sure, as well as 98.5-2000. Those might be interchangable, not sure though. 95 only works with 95.

get one from any 98.5-2000 contique at a junk yard.

I did the same thing as you 3 months ago, I got mine of a 99 Mistique.

Another thing is to get one from a car of the same engine size and it's crucial, I4's and V6s tachs work differently.

so if i have an 99 atx zetec and i get a tach from a 98.5-00 mtx zetec will it just fit in the same place and plug right in or will i have to do wire splicing and wiring work?

added: im going to a junk yard on friday to pick one up. just wondering what kind of work im getting myself into once i get the old one out.

Last edited:
just bought a tach today and it works. just plug and play.

ok i was wrong they dont. the rpm quage works but not the temp, fuel or speed. the lights for battery, blinkers seatbelt, high beams and guage lights work also but the cel, od off, oil, airbag and i think 2 others dont.

i have a tach from a 98 and a 96 both have the same problem. do i need to move wires or find one from 99- 00? im getting really irritated with this.

yes you will have to find one from a 99-00. maybe even just a 99. also once you have found a cluster that works take the odometer and speedo needle off the old gauge face and put it ont he new one. this way you will have the correct number of miles

what happens if i take the needle off and don't put it back on in the correct place? will it mess up my speedo?

what happens if i take the needle off and don't put it back on in the correct place? will it mess up my speedo?

yes in most cases;

what I'd do is run OBD stats while the car is moving (get your speed live from your computer), and set your needle to that speed, and you're all set.

As for the cluster, same advice as striker2.

ok yeah i know what those are. i want one but don't want to spend the money for one thanks for the tip. Ill scavenge around and see if i can borrow someones.

you can also use a GPS system. just set the cruz, look at the GPS and then set your speedo to that. if you dont have access to either of those then you can pull out the calculator and do a little math. again set the cruz, time a few miles and the calculate how fast your going. then set the speedo to that.

lol my dad gave me the idea to tell a cop i just got work done to the car or messed with the tach and to have him clock me(with cruise set).

ph yeah good point... well looks like im sol without either of those...

you dont have a calculator, stopwatch, pen, paper, and a friend?

just time a few miles and then calculate MPH from your miles/sec(or minute) then place the needle at that point.

or an alternative to clocking you or if you're too lazy to do simple math...get someone to follow you while you cruise and tell you (over the cell) how fast you're going based on their own speedo reading :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Back