• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

mega fuse testing & replacement

vmax12

New CEG'er
:shocked: I'm going to pull my mega fuse to test it. (Trouble shooting an alternator problem, have already read the how to articles.) If it tests good with an o-meter, I will re-install. Is it wise to put dielectric grease on contacts of mega fuse for corosion prevention? I.E. - like a battery terminal?
Any help is appreciated!!!
Thanxs,
V-Max 12

UPDATE!!! Upon gaining access to mega fuse, fuse is clear and conductor between posts looks to be in tact. So, I'm assuming fuse is good. Is there a need to pull fuse and put meter across terminals? It's my understanding that if the fuse is blown, it's blown. It will not blow and still conduct current. I.E. - It's either good or bad.

meter across the posts without removing.. no need to remove.

ALWAYS CHECK. Fuses can blow in places other than the "typical" center.

they can crack, etc, on either end, within the metal cap, hiding the crack from you. TEST IT, but don't need to remove it.

meter across the posts without removing.. no need to remove.

ALWAYS CHECK. Fuses can blow in places other than the "typical" center.

they can crack, etc, on either end, within the metal cap, hiding the crack from you. TEST IT, but don't need to remove it.
Ray
The battery is out of the car. So, you're saying I can take my mulit-meter on OHMS and check for continuity. If continuity is present then the current/mega fuse is good. Correct??? Thanks for your reply and time.!
V-Max

Yes.

An even better check would be with the battery connected and check for battery voltage on both sides of the fuse.

Correct. Measure from one tip of the fuse to the negative terminal, then from the other tip to the negative terminal.

Back