• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing Issues

IndyMP

CEG'er
was wondering... what is the best way to pull off the crank pulley. I realized my problem is that my crank is not aligned right with my cams... but i cant seem to get the crank pulley off... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Manual or Automatic? Using an impact wrench will work fine on either one.

But if you dont have one, well...

MTX: put in 5th gear and jam on breaks to lock crank
ATX: Take starter off and lock flywheel manually(book says to use flathead screw driver:crazy: )

Just make sure you ruled out everything else cause the crank pulley is not part of the timing belt, but part of the accessory belt.

Yes and no. The crank does need to be insync with the timing but does not pertain to improper timing.

What are you trying to do? Are you putting a new belt on? Do you think you can pull it off and put it back on in a different position? If you are doing a timing job, you need to get number 1 to TDC and then line your cams up.

Make sure you have the cam alignment tool and the crank pin. Get number 1 to TDC. Use the crank pin to make sure you are exactly at TDC. Loosen the cam sprockets. Take a wrench and turn the cams until they are lined up. There are slots on the cams for a wrench to fit. Leave the cam sprockets loose when you set your tensioner. All the steps are very important. If you don't get the timing exact with the VCT you will get a code and if the tensioner isn't done right your belt will walk.

What size are the Cam sprocket bolts / torx #60??
What size wrench is used for the cams?
I did my timing belt tonight and I believe my exhaust cam is out by one tooth.
If i loosen the cam bolt I should be able to turn it that small amount??
I ccan't see why it wouldn't work?
What do you think guys.

The cam sprockets are not keyed. So if they are loose you can turn your cams.

:) that makes sense. sorry, i haven't done the belt on my tour yet, just a bunch of times on my older cars. isn't that terrible inefficient, though, not having keyed cam sprockets? seems like slipping would be a somewhat common problem, considering the amount of resistance on each one. thank God it's a non-interference engine.

Back