• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

replacing belt on 2.5L

97vulcan

CEG'er
I am a noob to the 2.5 in my SVT, and I noticed that my belt has some cracks in it, and looks about ready to be changed. I was wondering whats all involved in the replacing of the belt? How difficult? and do you have to remove anything? What kind of belt lasts the longest with these engines?

Thanks!,

Adam

The serpentine belt? If its that, it is easy to do. Just a 3/8" drive breaker bar and possibly an extra set of hands to help out. Find the tensioner pulley, hook up the breaker bar, or ratchet if thats all you have. Release the tension on the belt with the breaker bar and then remove the loose belt. Install in reverse order. Install the new belt with the tension removed from the tensioner pulley. once belt is fully seated, slowly reapply tension from the tensioner pulley. Done.

Adam,

Thanks for the help man! For some reason my SVT has the 2.0 belt routing on the shock tower, and not the 2.5. Do you have a picture of that? also whats a good belt to get for the SVT??

Adam

other than OEM? Gatorback seems to be the other most recommended brand.

Loop all pulley EXCEPT the A/C pulley, when reinstalling..

then have a friend release tension, and grab the belt and toss it over the A/C, then release breaker bar.

Adam,

Thanks for the help man! For some reason my SVT has the 2.0 belt routing on the shock tower, and not the 2.5. Do you have a picture of that? also whats a good belt to get for the SVT??

Adam

The Auto parts store you get the belt from should be able to get you a routing diagram... At least I know Advance Auto should be able to.

I've found it much easier to get the belt on the lower accessories if you have the front right wheel off and the splash guard out of the way but it's not required.

Back