• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

battery light?

D

devanmc

i have a 99 se zetech. wel my battery light keeps coming on. i just had the battery replaced cuz it was going bad. which i thought would solve the problem but its still coming on. i have no power loss problems so far though(dimming headlights, stereo volume ect.)

any ideas are appreciated. and im not really wanting to take off my alternator to have it checked.

devan(im new sorry for any stupidity)

Your battery probably wasn't going bad. It's most likely your alternator, sorry. You may want to get it checked out.

very true. well the battery was bad i had that checked and atleast2 of the 6cells in it were gone. ill take it to a shop early next week to have the alternator checked

Bad alternator makes bad battery. I would get the alternator checked before you go putting a brand new battery in, you might just end up killing the new one.

i should get that checked really soon then cuz i already got the new battery. but,it has a 3year warrenty so if something happens ill just get a new one free

Check it yourself. Test the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. It should be somewhere around 14.5 Volts. Any higher or lower and there's some kind of problem.

so the voltage while the car is on at the battery terminals is reading 14.45. but the light still turns on every now and then when im driving. esp on the highway

Sounds like a voltage regulator problem to me, most likely due to a short in the windings in the alternator, have had that problem before, it just progressively got worse and then the yellow big fuse started blowing a lot then the big 175 amp plate fuse went (the one that sits behind the intake manifold), I finally saved up the money and got a new alternator and it fixed the problem.

Back