• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

big power big savings at the pump

jtmccann81

CEG'er
I am looking to go with a 2.0L supercharger build up, but I want to save money at the pump at the same time. My question is can it be done? I am looking 2.0L engine for our cars and I am going to be tuning to fit my project. yes I did use the search option but was left with more questions. thats why I am asking the straight up question.

you either get power or fuel economy. you rarely get both. now depending on the amount of boost your gonna make you may still get decent gas mileage. however no matter what your gonna have to run premium. Hector will probably chime in as im sure he can tell you more specifically as to what to expect.

With my Supercharged Tour I still got over 30 MPG on the highway......as far as streets, it depended on how hard I drove it.

I was getting about 35 MPG in my turbocharged Zetec on the highway, but if I get it into boost at all that goes right out the window. A less restrictive intake and exhaust, and no cat all help improve mileage. The display in my car actually showed 37 MPG, but when I checked it was a little less. I know I even found it hard to believe.

Yeah, the only way that you are going to get good mileage while having a F/I setup is to run a turbo. A supercharger is constantly spinning no matter if you are boosting or not. There are some BMWs that have an electric clutch connected to an Eaton blower. That way they can cruise along just like a NA setup.

You could also run a turbo with a higher A/R ratio. That would reduce backpressure and keep the turbo from spooling up until higer RPM's. It would have more lag but it would let the engine breathe a bit easier.

A large free flowing cat/exhaust would also be a must.

HTH,
BP

what kind of turbocharger for better mileage?

what kind of turbocharger for better mileage?

I have a stock 1998 Contour LX 2.0L ATX and I'm looking at the turbocharger adds on the sportscompactonly website. Some are pretty affordable, and I don't want to invest a lot on my budget. I commute about 120 miles on Texas freeways and there are times when the extra power would help. Any suggestsion?

wildowl

My T3 Super 60 is still for sale. It's a brand new refurbished turbo with a ceramic coated exhaust housing. Perfect for the Contour Zetec.

PM me if you are interested.

BTW, I would use a boost controller to limit your power at low RPMs. A turbo will shorten the life of your ATX if you are not careful. Considering you are on the freeway, a WOT switch would be perfect. No boost when cruising but a bunch of power just waiting when you need to ...ahem... pass someone. ;)

BP

Last edited:
Back