• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car Wont Turn Off After Pulling Key Out!

gliderjoe

New CEG'er
I searched but did not find anyone that had this same problem. I can turn the ignition off then pull the key out, but the car will not turn off! Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens and/or any ideas on how to force the car off (fuse to pull, etc)? This is a '96 Contour SE V6 with 120k miles.

If the car is running "perfectly" and not studdering, or "diesling" (ie.. running, then trying to stumble off, etc, etc), then your ignition switch is likely bad.

Or put it in 1st gear and let it stall.

He said this is an SE so you can't guaranty that its an mtx... I'd go with the fuel pump fuse if it's an auto or stall it if its an mtx.

If you get an ignition switch from the junkyard you need to find a key too. Better off just picking up one from the autoparts store I think.

Oh, sorry forgot to mention, this is an ATX. I found out the problem. I had to wiggle the Ignition Switch (fuse 10) in the engine compartment then I was able to turn it off. Looks like these are $55 from Autozone in case I need one.

Last edited:
Need some more help on this. I tried replacing the ignition switch but this did not solve the problem. I am thinking that its somewhere in the engine compartment fuse box because I get a humming sound from there (near fuses 1, 2, and 3). When I wiggle the fuse box the sound goes away and then I can turn the engine off.

Last edited:
What do you think the humming is? Is it the cooling fan? See if you have bad wiring under the fuse box.

Need More Help...

Need More Help...

So there are two problems that may or may not be related:
1) Car will start but the engine will keep running when the key is turned off. I have to remove the fuse to the fuel pump to stop the engine. Then put the fuse back in to restart.
2)There is a buzzing sound coming from the power distribution box under the hood. When fuses 1, 2, & 3 are wiggled there's a clicking noise and the buzzing stops temporarally. Anything can retrigger this problem.

The ignition switch itself has been replaced, however, there was no change. I'm told the lock & cylinder should be fine if the key is working properly. What ever is causing the problem, has also been draining on my battery when I shut the car off completely and sits for a period of time.

How do you check under the distribution box?

Any thoughts to what is causing both of these problems?

Last edited:
Back