• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I cant buy gas for my car!

Ifordman98

CEG'er
This is the most annoying problem ive ever had with a car. I am driving a 1998 contour SE V6. Whenever i try to put gas in my car, the pump shuts off as if my tank was full( with about an 1/8th on the guage). About a quarter of a gallon goes in at first and then every time i skeeze the pump it turns off instantainiously. Ive tried every gas station within a 2 mile radius. Its deff the car. Can anyone help me with this problem.

Last edited:
Have you tried running the pump on the slowest setting? I know our Windstar had a similar problem, found if I slowed the flow rate of the pump down that helps. What happens is the car's fill pipe can't always handle the amount of fuel the pump is dispensing (usually 7-9 gpm) and soe the pump thinks the car is full. Hopefully this helps, I haven't had this problem on either of the two Contours I have had (95 GL and 00 SVT)

Some others have had this problem, and the problem was with the flapper in the opening of the filler tube. Try to rotate the pump while it is inserted into the car and see if that helps. I'm sure some one else will chime in with a more detailed answer.

I have tried all of the above its really weird, I twisted it in all directions and slowed the flow rate of the gas. It still wont take in gas.

There is a TSB regarding this problem. Not sure what the number is but the dealer should be able to tell you, depending on mileage it may still be a warranty item.

The problem stems from the flapper valve at the bottom of the fuel filler tube inside the tank. The TSB replaces the existing valve with a redesigned one.

my car did the same thing, got it replaced for free via recall. contact local ford dealer, or continue with the 35 minute fill ups!

the above is correct, here is a copy of the owner notification program, i'm not sure if pictures will work but the text will, if you have under 100k you should get it done for free!!!:
June 2001
To:
All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
Subject:
Owner Notification Program 01M04 - Certain 1998 Contour and Mystique and Certain 1999 Cougar Vehicles - Additional Coverage Program for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly

PROGRAM TERMS: This additional coverage program will be in effect for 10 years service or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date, whichever occurs first. If a vehicle already has more than 100,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2001. VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

• Certain 1998 model year Contour and Mystique vehicles built at both the Cuautitlan Assembly Plant and the Kansas City Assembly Plant from Job #1, 1998 through July 31, 1998
  • Certain 1999 model year Cougar vehicles built at the Auto Alliance International Plant in Flat Rock from Job #1 through July 31, 1998
REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

In the vehicles covered by this program, the fuel pipe flapper valve may stick which could result in slow fill and frequent fuel filler nozzle shut-off. In some limited cases, a small amount of fuel may spit-back during refueling. These conditions may be intermittent, depending on the variety of fuels used by the customer. SERVICE ACTION

If the customer reports slow fuel fill, frequent fuel filler nozzle shut-off, or fuel spit-back while refueling, the dealer will install a new fuel pipe flapper valve assembly at no charge to the owner of the vehicle. Since the condition may be intermittent, this service action may be provided in response to customer report only, without demonstrating that the condition exists at time of the service request. Attachments
  • Attachment I
    • Administrative Information
  • Attachment II
    • Labor Allowances
    • Parts Ordering Information
  • Attachment III
    • Technical Information Customer Notification Letter
QUESTIONS?

Claims Information:....................................................................1-800-423-8851
Other (Dealer Only) Questions:.....................................................1-800-325-5621
regard24.gif

ATTACHMENT I
Owner Notification Program 01M04

Certain 1998 Contour and Mystique and Certain 1999 Cougar Vehicles Additional Coverage Program for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly
OASIS

You must use OASIS to determine if a vehicle is eligible for this program. CLAIMS PREPARATION AND SUBMISSION

• Enter claims using DWE.
  • Refer to ACESII manual for claims preparation and submission information.
OWNER REFUNDS

Ford Motor Company will only refund owner-paid repairs made before the date of the Owner Letter (or after the date of the Owner Letter if an emergency repair was made away from the servicing dealer).
Program Code: 01M04
Misc. Expense: REFUND
Misc. Expense: ADMIN
Misc. Expense: 0.2 Hour
Refer to ACESII manual for refund information. RENTAL CARS

Rental vehicles are not authorized for this program.

ATTACHMENT II

Certain 1998 Contour and Mystique and Certain 1999 Cougar Vehicles Additional Coverage Program for the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve Assembly
LABOR ALLOWANCES
Operation Description Labor Allowances Labor Operation Replace the Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve 1.8 Hours 01M04B
PARTS REQUIREMENTS

Parts Ordering Information
Parts will not be direct shipped for this program. Order your parts requirement through normal order processing channels as noted below:

Stock Orders Effective immediately Normal order process Interim Orders Effective immediately Normal order process Emergency Orders First 30 days after launch Call 1-800-325-5621 Emergency Orders 31 days after launch Normal order process

Any change to the order process shown above will be announced via DOES II.

Part Number Description Quantity F8RZ-9U085-AC Fuel Pipe Flapper Valve 1 XS7Z-9072-AA Grommet 1
ORDER INFORMATION DOR/COR

DOR/COR number 50246 identifies parts ordered for this campaign through the Special Service Support Center (1-800-325-5621). DEALER PRICE

For latest prices, check:
  • DOES II
  • Updated Price Book
EXCESS STOCK RETURN

Excess stock returned for credit must have been purchased from Ford Customer Service Division in accordance with Policy Procedure Bulletin 4000.

ATTACHMENT III

FUEL PIPE FLAPPER VALVE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT

AFFECTED VEHICLES: CERTAIN 1998 CONTOUR, MYSTIQUE AND CERTAIN 1999 COUGAR VEHICLES OVERVIEW

This procedure provides the detail to replace the fuel tank filler pipe flapper valve assembly (located at the end of the filler pipe) and the fuel tank filler neck grommet. REMOVAL
  1. Relieve fuel system pressure. Remove the fuel pump relay from the power distribution box under the hood. Run the engine until it runs out of fuel. Then crank the engine a few more seconds to make sure any residual fuel pressure is relieved. Then turn the key to OFF and reinstall the relay. See Figure 1.
    01m04a.gif

FIGURE 1

2. Install memory saver and disconnect the battery negative cable.

• NOTE:
      The end of the 3/8 in. hose must be trimmed to a point to allow for insertion into the fuel tank.
  3. Using Rotunda Fuel Tanker 034-00014 or equivalent and a suitable length of 3/8-inch hose, remove the fuel from the fuel tank.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle on a hoist.
  5. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter outlet fitting. See Figure 2.
    01m04b.gif

FIGURE 2

6. Position a tall jack stand at the forward end of the muffler and pipe assembly. Remove the muffler inlet pipe flange nuts. Then disengage the hangers and remove the muffler and pipe assembly from the vehicle. See Figure 3.
    01m04c.gif

FIGURE 3

7. Remove the exhaust heat shield from the fuel tank area. See Figure 4.
    01m04d.gif

FIGURE 4

8. Disconnect the rear sway bar links from the lower suspension arms. Then remove the sway bar brackets and the sway bar from the vehicle. See Figure 5.
    01m04e.gif

FIGURE 5

9. Remove the two (2) filler neck bracket retainer bolts.
  10. Using Rotunda Powertrain Lift or equivalent, support the fuel tank.
  11. Remove the fuel tank strap bolts and position the straps out of the way. See Figure 6.
    01m04f.gif

FIGURE 6

12. Partially lower the fuel tank.

• NOTE:
      There are minor differences between non-returnless and returnless fuel systems. A returnless fuel system may have fewer items to disconnect in the fuel tank area than those listed below.
  13. Disconnect the following from the fuel tank. See Figure 7.
    1. pressure sensor electrical connector.
    2. fuel pump module electrical connector.
    3. fuel line.
    4. vapor tube (2 connections).
    5. fuel vent hoses.
    6. fuel filler pipe.
    01m04g.gif

FIGURE 7

14. Remove the fuel tank and set it on a suitable work surface.
  15. Using suitable pliers, remove the flapper valve from the housing by twisting it until the hinge pins shear. See Figure 8. Then remove the valve housing, using a 3/8-inch center punch to carefully punch out the housing retaining tabs through the retaining tab windows. Be sure to remove any remaining plastic debris from the filler pipe.
    01m04h.gif

FIGURE 8

16. Remove the fuel filler neck grommet from the fuel tank. See Figure 9.
    01m04i.gif

FIGURE 9

try pulling the fuel filler-nozzle out from the gas tank itself by about a 1/4 inch (instead of inserting it all the way..)

ease in to the filling, and see what happens. You are likely to see improvements.

ive been having problem filling my car for over a year now.... 10min at the pump to put 30$ worth of gaz ! its crazy

so that mean that i can go to the dealer and ask them to replace it for free ???

I have tried all of the above its really weird, I twisted it in all directions and slowed the flow rate of the gas. It still wont take in gas.

Yeah there was a recall for it, my car still does it mostly in the winter months. Sometimes you'll just have to keep squeezing and pumping on and on, i did it for a full tank man my hand hurt but hell...

In the past, some have used a hose or thin stick (maybe metal clothes hanger) to push the flapper open. I find that most times, it is after a long highway drive that I have this situation (either the build up of pressure or something). Most times, I try to gas up first thing in the morning or I gas up after lunch break if I am on a long highway drive. This gives the gas tank a chance to cool down and equalize the pressure.

Edit. Read this. Slow fill gas slowfill
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=270197&Forum=trouble&Words=fuel%20fill&Match=And&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=270197&Search=true#Post270197

Last edited:
Back